Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Advice on bubble play

Yesterday in a 23 man tournament, the following hand knocked me out on the bubble. Sixth place gets there entry back. Is there a better way to play?

UTG raised to 800 (blinds are 400/800). He is the chip leader with approx 1500 more than me. It folds around to me in the big blind. I pushed all in with A K off. I had watched this guy play for the past hour and he raised on any ace or face or low pairs. If he had a high pair his raise would have been for 3xs the blind. I put him on a ragged ace. He thought for a bit and called, showing A 7.
Flop came 3 5 6. Turn a 2 and the river was a 4 giving him the straight.

Is there a better way to play? I could have called the raise and seen the flop and folded if it didn't him me. But I felt my read was good and I had him beat.

Is it even a consideration to lay this hand down? I was either 3rd or 4th and there was one player very short stacked. Granted

Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Advice on bubble play

I imagine if he didn't suck out on you I wouldn't be reading this post. If you are playing to win, your read on the guy was perfect and you got him to call as a 3-1dog, do you think you made the right play?

Forget the results, you made a great play here cause most people on the bubble aren't calling off their whole stack with an A7. Your push here was a solid play to get him to laydown and even when they do call AK is still usually in good shape.