Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 04:46 PM

Default big blind special. discuss.

5-10 NL online hand

i'm in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls and it's folded around, so i check.

flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
pot size: $25
i check.
UTG checks.

turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
i check.
UTG checks.

river is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
i check.
UTG bets $10.
i raise to $45.
UTG raises to $80.
i raise to $250.
UTG waits until he has 5 seconds left and then goes all-in for about $1500.
i ???

i have around $1000 left, so calling would put me all-in. thoughts?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: big blind special. discuss.

Lets see.

I would be 50/50 on leading out on the flop. This is player dependant. On the turn (if it went check/check on the flop) I would definately bet out. I just dont like your line here.

Anyway I would probably not call an allin bet on the river. My guess is he had 88 and you called and lost
Old 11-29-2004, 05:08 PM

Or he had A3 - You have to bet somewhere. Bet the flop, check the turn. Check the flop, bet the turn. Bet both. Just bet. You'll learn a lot more from his street-by-street reactions than you will from the back and forth on the river. The way this went, I don't think you can all the all-in.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:12 PM

A flush isn't just as likely as 88? Come on. I would have bet the flop, either he has a hand to play with or he doesn't. If he doesn't that sucks, if he does, you are getting the best of it. No flop action then you definitely have to bet the turn and hope he has an Ace. The river play is a little odd, but I wouldn't be so quick to put him on a hand that beats you...is this asking for trouble?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM

If we knew more about the villain then the decision will be more clear.

What range of hands does one limp with from UTG. Any kind of decent player will muck A3. 88 / JJ / AA all seem plausible so does a flush.

Without knowing the player and what he would limp UTG with would make this an easy laydown. Since you didnt mention or just dont have a read this is one of the easiest full-house lay downs I would ever make.

This is my guess: Villain limped UTG with AA hoping for a PF check-raise. Folded around to BB who knukles. Hero checking is a sign of weakness and Villain wants to let the hero 'catch up'. Little does he know he is the one way behind. Turn brings the villain a full house and hero checks it to him once again. Villain checks again and hopes the hero makes a silly silly move on the river. River brings a flush and villain thinks it improved heros hand. Then a raising war which results in the hero losing to an Aces Full.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 PM

"Villian limped UTG AA hoping for a PF check-raise" - are you [censored] kidding me? We know nothing about villian's skill level or mode of thought, furthermore this is online not even live, Guessing that villian had AA here is just about as likely as assuming the deck had 5 3's in it and he flopped quads. Get out of here.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:09 PM

I think this is a clear fold to any reasonable opponent. You have the worst possible full house. Bad luck, get out.

Don't check-check-check a boat. Open betting somewhere.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:48 PM

AZK :

" We know nothing about villian's skill level or mode of thought, furthermore this is online not even live, Guessing that villian had AA here is just about as likely as assuming the deck had 5 3's in it and he flopped quads. Get out of here. "

The original poster should have made comments on the villain if he wanted any kind of constructive criticism. He failed to do that so I put the villain on a range of hands that I thought he may have.

Your pathetic comments add no value to this post. Does it make your dick hard berating someones opinion?

Would you have the balls to say this to a persons face? If so come find me. I would be more than happy to teach you a lesson
Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 PM

alright first off thanks everyone for the feedback -- basically i should've bet instead of greedily slowplaying. i've learned my lesson.

secondly sorry i didn't say anything about my opponent. i hadn't played with him before so i didn't know anything myself.

faced with the all-in, i went through a similar thought process as pocketdeuces81... i didn't think limping with JJ UTG was plausible but i thought AX [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A3 suited, 88, and even AA were possibilities (a lot of people like to limp-reraise with AA in early position). i figured my opponent would know enough to not push a third raise, particularly all-in, with a flush on a paired board (alas i might've been able to put him on a flush draw had i bet the flop and/or turn) -- which meant he probably had a boat.

results in white:
<font color="white">i folded. opponent mucked then claimed to have a flush.</font>
Old 11-29-2004, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Villian limped UTG AA hoping for a PF check-raise" - are you [censored] kidding me? We know nothing about villian's skill level or mode of thought, furthermore this is online not even live, Guessing that villian had AA here is just about as likely as assuming the deck had 5 3's in it and he flopped quads. Get out of here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, he only limped UTG, checked it twice, bet half the pot on the river, and is now tripping over himself to put in the fourth raise on the river for his whole stack on that board. You think he has a flush? You're the one who should get out of here (or into my game).