Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Hypothetical Situation

Was thinking about this situation the other day.

1st hand of tournament(say a WSOP/WPT type, ie deep stacks and slow blinds).

You pick up a suited AK on the button. UTG goes all in and gets two callers. Do you call?

Change the situation a bit and say u KNOW that UTG has QQ, and between the two callers JJ and TT are out there as well. Call now? How about if u know that none of the three pairs contain a card of your suit?

Thanks,
Evan
Old 11-29-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Situation

knowing nothing about the hands i'm up against, i'm folding without a moment of consideration. in a tournament like that, even with some amateurs, there's little conceivable way one of them doesn't have aces, or at least kings.
now, if i knew for certain they had QQ, JJ, and TT, i would consider it. it depends on what kind of player you are. if you are a very good player, you don't want to risk your whole stack when you're a little better than one in three to win the pot, even though pot odds dictate. you have plenty of time to press stronger advantages later on in the tournament. remember, one of those three players will triple up, but you'll still be on par with everyone else in the tournament. however, if you understand that you are a weaker player (relative to the competition) then you probably jump on the opportunity to quadruple up, and build a stack that is more forgiving of error.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:19 PM

This is an easy fold early in the tournament. If you know you're against QQ, JJ, and TT, it's even easier to fold. You do have the proper pot odds (i.e. you will win more than 25% of the time with AK in this spot) but pot odds aren't the end-all, be-all in tournament play. Basically you'd lose your stack over half the time and be out, and even when you win, quadrupling up this early isn't a great advantage in a huge tournament. Don't get me wrong, it's an advantage, but it's not worth the risk at all. Not by a long shot.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:38 PM

As previous posters have mentioned, especially if you have no chips already committed, then this should be an easy fold.

Good to push w/Big Slick, not so good to call w/it.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:12 PM

Against the 3 pairs you seem to win only 33% of the time, not much more than your 25% fair share. So 2 times you lose 1 and 1 time you win 3 for a net of 3 over 3 hands or +.33 buy ins per attempt.

That's probably not worth it if you figure you are a favorite in the tournament.

But it might just be worth it vis-a-vis your tournament hourly rate since if you win you have a sizeable lead and if you lose you don't waste the next 3 days in the tournament; you can play side games.

- Louie
Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 PM

Fold if you're not desperate.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:17 PM

As everyone else said, it's an easy fold in the first case. In the second case it seems like you could call or fold. Obviously if you're one of the top couple players you should fold it and look for a more favorable situation.

However, I doubt there are many, if any, people here who feel they would be the best players in a WPT/WSOP NL tournament. I would be calling here if they showed me TT/JJ/QQ
Old 11-30-2004, 08:03 AM

this is one of those situations where what you do in a tournement is totally different from what you would do in a cash game.

In the tournement you fold, in the cash game you call if you have plenty of money to rebuy.

If you make this a rebuy tournement then you call in that situation also.