Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2004, 02:48 PM

Default mirage 2/5 NL hand (strategy and rules issues)

playing 2/5 nl at the mirage this weekend, table was 7 or 8-handed at this point. hero has about $600, villain has about $1000.

villain has been aggressive (i'd only been sitting at the table for about an hour) and clearly unafraid to use his chips. i make him for a solid player who probably knows a thing or two about playing deep-stack nl. i don't remember him having to show down any hands. but, he wasn't in raising every pot...i didn't make him for a lag. he and the sb had been chatting it up the whole time i'd been at the table.

hero is dealt AK offsuit (suits unimportant for this hand) in utg+1. utg folds, hero makes it $25 to go, folded to villain on the button. villain calls, blinds fold.

heads up to the flop with about $55 in the pot. just before the flop is spread, villain shows his hand to the sb, who looks at it and kind of raises his eyebrows.

flop k55 rainbow.

hero bets $60. sb then says something to villain in a non-english language. villain raises to $500. i call for a ruling. sb claims he was asking what time it was. floor says that while it is one player per hand and english only at the tables, the raise to $500 stands. i muck and cash out.

i'd appreciate comments on the play and ruling (but mostly on the play, although i think the whole scenario is interrelated).