Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Default K4 in BB

Full $20-40 at Bay101. I was in the big blind with K-4. Two players limped, the small blind called, and I checked. Four of us to the flop with me second.

The flop was K-7-2 rainbow. The small blind checked, I checked, the third guy checked, and the last guy bet. The small blind folded, I called, and the third guy folded. Headsup now.

The turn was a 3. I checked, and he checked.

The river was an 8. I checked and he checked and I showed and won.

Let's say that on the river, you knew for sure that you had the best hand, and you knew for sure that if you checked then he would check, and you knew for sure that if you bet that he would fold.

Which is better? To bet and take it unshown? Or to check-check and show?

Tommy
Old 11-29-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: K4 in BB

It is better to bet and not have to show. Planting curiousity in your opponents is very advantageous.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is better to bet and not have to show. Planting curiousity in your opponents is very advantageous.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was similar to my original thought, which was that poker is a game of incomplete information, and by showing down in this hypothetical scenario, you're giving away information for free.

However, I now think that with a group of decent, observant players, showing that you'll check top pair on the turn might have some advantages; in other words, later on down the line you'll get to look at some rivers for free that you'd rather not pay a bet for.

-McGee
Old 11-29-2004, 01:01 PM

I'd rather show this one down so everyone can see how badly I played it. This way they will underestimate me in the future.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather show this one down so everyone can see how badly I played it. This way they will underestimate me in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of the hand did Tommy play badly? And how would you have played it differently? For now, let's not count the river, since it seems that Tommy has a strong read on his opponent there.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:21 PM

It's best to check-raise the flop and take it there or with a turn bet unshown. It's worst to check-check the turn and let somebody catch up and watch him stack the chips.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's best to check-raise the flop and take it there or with a turn bet unshown. It's worst to check-check the turn and let somebody catch up and watch him stack the chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think standard players will often check the turn there if they have touched the board or have a pocket pair? I think it's much more common to see a turn bet and river check.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:30 PM

Andy I dont think a flop check-raise here is a must. I actually think a flop call and a turn check could easily be correct. The river seems like a bet to me, but even the river isn't clear cut if Tommy has a read that the guy has absolutely nothing. The only problem I have with this hand is that Tommy actually cares at all about his hypothetical river question...pretty much a waste of time.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 PM

Since you did not show any agression in this hand I think it would be best to check and show down. If you bet and are not called, the suspicion may hurt you later in similar circumstances. I think it is best to reward passive play by your oppents. In the future, the same bettor will be more likely to check to you instead of bet, since you made it easier for him to believe that you had something and that he will get to see it.

In certain cases where a lot of agression was used, then I would opt for the bet him out on the end play.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:12 PM

Depends how much they have touched the board. If I'm called by a Tommyesque player on a non-draw board I'll often check behind with second pair, weak kicker, or a pocket pair.