Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Default SNGs for a living?

I'm not ANYWHERE CLOSE to making this leap yet, but I'm a little curious as to what I'd need to be able to do it. First, there would be these non-poker considerations:

1) I'd be debt-free, and have at least 9 months of living expenses in a DO NOT TOUCH EVER EVER EVER FOR POKER account. This would be in addition to a private IRA that I'd be keeping just in the off-chance that I actually live to over 50. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2) I'd remain single (yeah, what a shock) with no kids or other such expenses so my monthly budget would remain fairly consistent.

Assuming 10% ROI on $50+5 SNGs x 15 SNGs/day x 25 days/month (taking an occassional day off), I come up with $2062.50/month. I could adjust the amount played daily up or down, of course.

After I take care of my non-poker "safety nets", what kind of BR would I need to play 15 SNGs daily x 25 days/month at $50+5?

Again, this is NOT something I'm doing tomorrow or even next year. This would be something I would do in 4-5 years time if things work out right for me.

The reason I'm asking here is that I've played with you guys enough that hopefully you know my game a little bit and can give me some advice on what this buy-in SNG level is like.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: SNGs for a living?

If you can't play more than 15 SNG's a day then I don't think becoming a profesional is a good option for you. It's very easy to hold down a "real" job while playing 15 SNG's a day, and in my opinion is a much better alternative.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr
Old 11-28-2004, 11:49 PM

Play 1K $50 SnGs. If your ROI is over 10% at this point, start playing 15/day while keeping your day job and see whether you can sustain your winrate over a few months. If you can, and you still enjoy doing it, I think you're probably good to go.
Or you can just drop $100 into a Party account without any experience, quit your day job, and declare yourself a pro - like me. After 4 months, I'm making a living and still happy with my decision.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 PM

If your ROI is indeed only 10% I would think you would want around 100 buy-ins. Maybe more.

$24,000/yr is not much to live on. If you can bump up your ROI to 25% and tournaments/day to 25 then you have much more livable income of $76000. Both of these adjustments are certainly possible.

Of course it is impossible to predict what on-line poker will look like 4-5 years from now. You might not be able to play at all.

Paul
Old 11-29-2004, 12:21 AM

Default why stay single?

Dating a girl can be expensive because your always buying them fancy dinners, boots, flowers etc.. but that is a short phase. Once you move in together you share your money and expenses and that provides a HUGE safety net.
Not only that but sex and good cooked meals are a nice thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Don't feel that you need to deny yourself anything to play poker full time.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:46 AM

Responding to everything so far:

Zephyr: 15 SNGs/day x 25 days would be conservative. I've never really multi-tabled these, but I'm guessing that if I started a new SNG every 30-40 minutes I should be able to get at least 15/day pretty easily.

Ilya: Hey, if that works for you, outstanding. I'd like to have a bit more of a safety net, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Paul2432: I'm being tremendously conservative in my ROI estimates. I'd like to think I can play 15% ROI, but I would budget for 10%.

Johnny69: Agreed with everything.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:55 AM

If you absolutely cannot multi table the 50's then you'll probably do better playing the 30's. Have you tried multi tabling at all. If you can beat the 50's I guarantee you that you can play 2 tables of the 30's at a time. Learning to multitable is one of the biggest skills for online poker.

Zephyr
Old 11-29-2004, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play 1K $50 SnGs. If your ROI is over 10% at this point, start playing 15/day while keeping your day job and see whether you can sustain your winrate over a few months. If you can, and you still enjoy doing it, I think you're probably good to go.
Or you can just drop $100 into a Party account without any experience, quit your day job, and declare yourself a pro - like me. After 4 months, I'm making a living and still happy with my decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to be a "pro online poker player" like you ilya. Can you describe considerations , some reports about a "pro" life , etc? thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 06:32 AM

This is the last working day of the month for me and I need to make $1000 to make my monthly nut without having to go into my roll. What to do..... I could play 1 $215 and be almost there or 5 table $22s or maybe I should enter a multi? All I want to do of course is play Monte Carlo sats so I can go and meet PM. It's a great job but it ain't as easy as you think it's gonna be. Big bankroll is everything I think.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Big bankroll is everything I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i play on-line full time these days - played SNG's almost exclusively for the last couple of months - this is the best advice you will get

stripsqueez - chickenhawk