Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Reality check: A5o is worthless, right?

I just want a reality check on something I do routinely.

I'm BB with A5o in a LP 3/6 game. One MP raise. One call.

I fold this without a thought. This is routine, correct?

Thanks,
gm
Old 11-28-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Reality check: A5o is worthless, right?

yep, very routine
Old 11-28-2004, 05:39 PM

This is an easy fold. Without the caller, you might play if he were a very loose raiser (or if he were in late position). With a cold caller, just fold.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:40 PM

You should be mucking all the way to ATo, except against very loose raisers. I muck AJo against the tightest 2/3 raisers.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be mucking all the way to ATo, except against very loose raisers. I muck AJo against the tightest 2/3 raisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Interesting. So you would muck AJo against an unknown in the situation I describe? I have been mucking up to A9o, but would normally play ATo. Is this too loose?

Thanks,
gm
Old 11-28-2004, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so. I can't say for sure in the 3-6 games, but I'm convinced it would be in the 5-10.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so. I can't say for sure in the 3-6 games, but I'm convinced it would be in the 5-10.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to play tighter at 2/4 and 3/6. The lower the limit the higher the PFR standards of the average player.

I won't play AJo in the BB heads up against a legitimate open raise.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:51 PM

I won't play AJo in the BB heads up against a legitimate open raise.

You mean HU up in a full ring game after everyone has folded, right?

Also, what if you're in a 3/6 game and you know the raiser is loose? Or would that not qualify as a legitmate open raise?

Thanks,
gm
Old 11-28-2004, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mean HU up in a full ring game after everyone has folded, right

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone open-raised and everyone else but me has folded.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what if you're in a 3/6 game and you know the raiser is loose? Or would that not qualify as a legitmate open raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I used the word "legitimate" to mean likely to meet the normal standards for an EP open-raise. Someone that thinks raising QJo is fun does not qualify. But a button that I knew would never dare steal with less than AJo does qualify.

The range of the hand is practically the only thing that matters.

Minor issues are SB size, rake, postflop ability of my opponent, and having a good postflop read (so I can play well).
Old 11-28-2004, 08:47 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

this is my philosophy:

when you're playing from the blinds, facing a raise, it's all about domination. You shouldn't be surprised when I tell you that, against a range of "normal" raising hands, KQs fairs about as well as 76s preflop, as does Ax. Further, when you make a big hand, like two pair or trips, with these hands, you're going to occasionally be putting in a lot of bets drawing to 2 or 3 outs. because of this, 76s fairs much better postflop than KQs

Also, your pair of Qs are really not all THAT much better than a pair of 7s. They beat JJ and TT, but otherwise, the two hands are just as good. However, you know your 7 isn't dominated, that is, unless he's got a set, you have 5 outs. With a pair of Qs, you'll often be drawing to 3 or less outs. These hands also play just about the same. if an A flops, you're done with it pretty much regardless. if you get a pair, you'll play it very cautiously. with 76s you'll get more straight draws, and you can play your 2 pair much more aggressively. KQx is a great flop, but when you're behind, it's going to be expensive. 76x is a much safer flop. the only big disadvantage is that occasionally your 2 pair will be counterfeit, but AA will counterfeit the both just the same, and KK and QQ have KQ slaughtered anyway, so that's not that big of a deal.

out of position, without initiative is a terribly difficult situation. your opponent is, most of the time, going to limit you to 3 cards, while he's going to get 5 cards. even when you flop a pair, sometimes you'll be folding. the river has (if you can't bet it) a TON of reverse implied odds, since you'll be checking and he'll just about always bet with a better hand or check with a worse one. that's almost a full BB that he possesses before the hand even starts. he has a lot of edges. that's why I'm big on knowing my outs before I enter that situation.

(again, this is just my philosophy. my views in these situations tend to be different than others' views, so take it for what its content and not necessarily its suggestion)