Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Set of Crabs

Prima 2/4 400 game 6 max

table is super weak tight and I am doing my best flack impression, raising about 30% of the hands I am dealt, often taking it down preflop or w a flop bet.

it seems like UTG is starting to get frustrated, as he is calling me more preflop and on the flop, but hasnt had enough hand/sack to call me down all the way.

UTG raises to $22, everyone folds and I call in the BB w crabs.

flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]crab [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I lead out for $35, he raises to $75.

Do I repop him here? lead the turn? or CR the turn?

thanks

fsuplayer
Old 11-28-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Set of Crabs

you have the third nuts and unless you put him on a higher set you should raise big. you dont want to give him the initiative if he has AKh... that said would he raise 5x the BB UTG with AQ or 88? could he have AA/KK? everything points toward a raise. you have to believe you have the best hand at the moment. if you just call and the turn brings a heart, you have a dilemma.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:09 PM

He's not worried about being beat, just worried about how to get the money in.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:14 PM

true. i would raise to $200. that way the opponent is looking at $125 more into a $300 pot... he might push back with his overpair or just call with something like AQ, in which case you pot the turn.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:44 PM

Hi fsu,

[ QUOTE ]
Do I repop him here? lead the turn? or CR the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, how much does he have? How much do you have? This makes some difference, though in any case you are going to try to play it for his whole stack (I assume you have more than him). Does he have 400 or less? If so, you're going to get it all whether you re-raise big or small.

I would generally re-raise to about 150 (small) here, when I don't have position. Then, any reasonable turn bet will put him all-in or close to it.

Given your description, he's taking a stand here. If he's messing around with AK, he probably doesn't have the sack to lead at it again, given the large number of scare cards (to him) available on the turn. A bad bluff is the only hand he can get away from here; I think he has an overpair. Re-pop him small.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:12 PM

cero-

I am not paying attn to some of my posts lately...

I had over $1200 and my opponent had about 500 to start the hand.

Out of position like this, its tough to get the money in, but I figure that with my LAG image, he would play an overpair for his stack here.

I reraised to $160 (great minds think alike
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) and my opponent.....folded. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

At first I was almost sick at the thought that I made him lay down AA or KK here, but the more I thought about it, I figured him for JJ or AK and he was thinking I was messing around, but then folded when I showed strength.

was just trying to find out the censensus of what the move is there. I hate CRing that flop, but wasnt sure if the reraise move was too strong.

btw cero-
I think you are possibly the most underrated poster in this forum. I always learn something from your posts.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:14 PM

Default I pulled a 1800 on him!

it seems like UTG is starting to get frustrated, as he is calling me more preflop and on the flop, but hasnt had enough hand/sack to call me down all the way.

hehehhe....well he made his stand.

I raise pf UTG to $12 with AA. he calls. BB calls.

flop: Q62r
I bet $40, he raises to $90. I call.

Turn:4r
he bets $160, I CR all in for $250 more. He calls in a flash.

river blanks.

he has Q9s and MHIG.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 PM

This line shows a lot of strength... to good players. He would never have folded AA or KK here, as is shown by his 'stand' with Q9. I like this line against the opponent you described, you just got unlucky he had AJ or TT or something here. In fact, I doubt he even had TT.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:43 PM

i think that without a doubt you reraise here. even if the board was rainbow, i would reraise here often. if you had position, he checks, you bet, he raises, and there were no hearts, i would think about flat calling.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:49 PM

FSU,
I am curious to what your line would be if another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] were to turn.

When I first started I made the mistake of always putting my opponant on the draw that could beat me and cost myself a lot of money in shutting out potential draws on the flop. I now probably make the opposite mistake of letting too many people draw out on my but in the meantime I get much more value for my hands.

Personally, with him only having a stack of $500 -- with $425 left after the flop I would hope that a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] does not turn or river and would bet $125 on the turn and then either $150 or all in on the river (I would do each about 50% of the time.)

If a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turned I would either check raise all in if i thought villain would bet, or bet the pot if I thought he would check behind. If I bet the pot and was called on a heart turn and another heart rivered I would push all in (does ANYONE else agree with this line?) hoping to get a fold from a top pair low heart kicker.

If a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turned and I bet the pot and got called I would bet $125 more on the non heart river and reluctantly call an all in raise without other information.

I would always just call the flop raise however because it is my belief that a 3rd bet is almost always interpreted as a set and even a bad player will be able to make a good laydown when you put that third bet in.

Please feel free to critique all of my lines

Steve