Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 02:58 PM

Default TPGK Vs. Turn Raise - River Scare Card

I respect the button's play tremendously. He is pretty tight and very aggressive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

His turn raise makes me pretty sure I'm behind. I had planned to fold the river, but bet when it put four to a straight out.

My thinking went something like - he could very eaisly bluff on this board, so I may have to call a bet if I check. His turn raise (and his tightness) makes it unlikely he hit a straight.

If I bet, he'll have a hard time raising me. If he does raise I can insta-fold. It's also possibly he lays down a better hand.

Comments?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: TPGK Vs. Turn Raise - River Scare Card

I like it on every street, especially your river line. Well played, methinks.

Button might have 77 here--surely he'd raise the river with TJs. I'm not sure what else he could have.

(Don't include button's river action next time.)
Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts on this hand? I really like the river line.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:02 PM

I'd like more thoughts on it as well. I think my title is woefully uninteresting though. Perhaps this thinly veiled bump will generate more responses.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:10 PM

I like it too.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:17 PM

His hand looks like 77 or 33.

Based on your read he isn't calling the flop with a gutshot straight draw getting only 6-1 so he didn't make a straight on the turn. His turn raise could be a semi-bluff raise with a pair + turned flush draw but I don't see it. To make this play his most likely hands would be A3s, JTs, or QTs. If he had JTs, or QTs he would have most likely raised the flop. Even if he had T8 I would think he would raise the flop and there weren't enough callers in front of him pre-flop for him to have T7s. So I guess he could have A3s, 33, or 77.

With this range of hands I like your river bet. When you called the turn bet were you planning on betting ANY river or did you make the decision to bet after the scare card came down? The reasons I like the river bet are:
- If he raises you on the river it's an easy fold.
- He very well may fold a better hand as your hand is not clearly defined and that is a very scary river card. You very well could have a straight here.
- You were going to a showdown anyways, so with the above two reasons noted it is better to bet yourself than it is to check/call a bet. A better hand will almost assuredly bet if you check, but a worse hand will most definitely check.

I think the river bet is thin, but it is a combination of a very thin value bet and a very thin bluff bet. I think I like it.