Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 02:46 AM

Default $5/$10 O8 hand (comments please...)

PokerStars 5/10 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls $4.50 (All-In), MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 31.95 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 27.30 BB, between UTG, MP1, Hero and SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 4.65 BB, between UTG, Hero and SB.</font>

I figure the PF call is a little loose(although I do have position); and I'm not sure about the river raise. I'm sure there's alot of other things I did that were questionable at best.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 O8 hand (comments please...)

No your call is definitely fine in position, you have 4 cards that are over 8 and you have a nut flush draw as well. I think you played it fine, although not sure about the 3 bet on the river. You have the best high, but no low although there's little chance you're going to get quartered of course, but you still want calls from SB, MP1 and MP3. What you're hoping for is that SB 3 bets for you and everyone calls. In which case you can cap it, thereby trapping everybody for an extra bet.

What I find a lot of split poker players do is raise and cap with out using a partnership system. You want those second best hands calling you down. Imagine 3 players A, B, and C. A has the best low, B has the best high, and C has the 2nd best low and high. If A bets and B raises C is more likely to fold and then you're missing a bet from C and feeding the rake. What B would want to do is just call thereby hopefully getting a call from C or even better a raise.

Sorry to hear you got quartered or worse.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:35 PM

Fold preflop. You get a great flop for your hand in terms of high prospects with the big str8 draw and the nut flush draw, but the board still has 2 low cards so you very well may be playing for half. Your high prospects are so good on the flop that I can't really fault you for calling a raise. Now the turn comes and bring the low and the pot is too big for you to fold. I think I would call the river and try and pull rather then push. The problems you encountered on the flop and turn could be avoided completely by folding this cheese preflop. I think I would of played your hand if I could substitute the 9 for a Jack, but that nine in your hand just leads to problems like the ones you had to deal with.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 PM

Tubby - You have a poor starting hand. I'd say sub-marginal. But all right, since the game is extremely loose, you see the flop and then catch a piece of the flop.

Then you have favorable odds to play after the flop. And at that point, whether or not you should have seen the flop is moot.

And because the game is so loose, you also have favorable odds to play after the turn, even though you are only playing for half the pot.

Finally, I think your raise on the river was fine.

I don't see anything wrong with the way you played the hand.

Buzz
Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 AM

Little loose PF, but generally looks all right. With so many callers on the river, you'll not losing value even if you get quartered for high.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:45 PM

I play the hand exactly the same way except that I don't play it in the first place. I fold preflop, but if I'm in it I play the rest of the hand as you did.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Results

MP1 had low, and UTG and SB also had a 9 and a T for the nut straight.

I think that's the first time I've been 1/6thd!