Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Problem hand that comes up a lot

This would be my least favorite hand in tournments, AJ. The biggest question here, is when I'm raised back do you think it's usually a fold, unless against someone who's reraising a lot or when it's this late do you have to call. I think I made a mistake calling here. Usually I'd call with AQ but fold AJ. However, I've noticed people reraising a lot of crappy hands (this is a $10sng) and I think I've been giving people too much credit.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

Hero (t1230)
MP (t1240)
CO (t2890)
Button (t700)
SB (t895)
BB (t1045)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t275</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t895 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t620.

Flop: (t1890) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1890) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1890) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1890
Old 11-26-2004, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Problem hand that comes up a lot

You have call the reraise. You are getting more than 2-1 on your money at that point.

Your raise is OK, but I would have just pushed. The reason for the 10xBB rule is you get pot-committed as seen above. Actually, you have 12xBB here.

AJs is a raising hand 6-handed.

This board looks pretty good for you. I guess your opponent must have had pocket kings.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have call the reraise. You are getting more than 2-1 on your money at that point.

Your raise is OK, but I would have just pushed. The reason for the 10xBB rule is you get pot-committed as seen above. Actually, you have 12xBB here.

AJs is a raising hand 6-handed.

This board looks pretty good for you. I guess your opponent must have had pocket kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't show on the early post but he had pocket 7s so I drew out on him.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:48 AM

In a NLHE SNG, there are 2 reasons to raise the pot for an amount less than your whole stack:
1. To allow yourself the ability to get away from the hand
2. To invite action

You don't want either of those conditions to be a factor 6-handed with AJs. Yet another way to explain to explain the "___Big Blind Rule" (fill in the blank with a number from 9-13)

Irieguy
Old 11-26-2004, 04:03 AM

good question but i think the level that your playing at it is ok to do that bet of $275. At a higher level $50 sng (for sure) or maybe $30 sng a utg raiser you may only get a rr with a hand that beats aj. At a $10 level especially around drinking hours you may get someone going over the top on you with a 77 hand - In this case he was going to make a stand with any pair and was hoping you didn't have an overpair
Old 11-26-2004, 05:09 AM

All your play is fine here. AJs is a worthy hand to go to war with 6 handed, especially getting 2-1. Also, in 8 hands you will likely not get a better hand, by which time you will have paid between 300 and 450 in blinds. This ain't life or death, it profit opportunity, and this may be your best/only one.

Also, of course, other than AT-Ax or JK-Jx, 77 is EXACTLY the kind of actual raising hand you want him to have.

P.S. Let me add that you raise size is fine too. I personall subscribe to the 8xBB push theory, but 10x is fine too. 12x I think is just getting away from actually even being poker if there are no antes factoring into pot size..
Old 11-26-2004, 05:26 AM

I felt like I've been misplaying this hand a bit and from the posts that seems the case. If I had AT instead, would most people still raise that (allin or 3bbs). If I was a little later to act AT would look good to me but up front, with 5 people left, going allin doesn't look great to me.