Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Eagle in Search of the right questions to ask himself...

Self Analysis time.

Background: I have been happy with my results and progression over the past 14 or 15 months of my online poker play. I have gradually become a better player, more agressive, moved up limits, and made more money.

While I am considered aggressive postflop, I am not as aggressive postflop as I should or would like to be.

Based on the bison autorate standard, I am a TA-N (Eagle) and I would like to get to a TA-A (MoneyBag).

For your reference:

[ QUOTE ]
TA-N - eagle icon - Tight preflop (VP < 20). Aggro preflop (PFR > 5). Neutral postflop (1 < TOT-A < 2).
TA-A - moneybag icon - Tight preflop (VP < 20). Aggro preflop (PFR > 5). Aggro postflop (TOT-A > 2). This is the group I am in and the group you want to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious answer to me is that I do not lead, raise, or checkraise quite as much as I should.

I would like to correct this without overcompensating or chip spraying.

My problem is that I do not really know where to really begin on my search.

My Question is this:

What are the top few things that an TA-N should look for in his postflop play to get himself to the TA-A realm? Do you notice common mistakes that TA-N make that a TA-A would not? Do you have any suggestions as to what to look for in my postflop play? Should I study anything in particular?

Any guidance/ suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Hopefully this could help out any other wannabe TA-A's.

Thanks,

MAxx
Old 11-26-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Eagle in Search of the right questions to ask himself...

At a quick guess, I'd wonder how you played your draws and top pair hands.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:24 AM

And middle pairs in unraised pots.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:53 AM

From my own experiences, I'm coming to the view that an important element of raising aggression is folding more often.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

From my own experiences, I'm coming to the view that an important element of raising aggression is folding more often

[/ QUOTE ]

My experiences are similar. My turn and river aggression has increased significantly over the past 20,000 hands, but most of the increase has come from a reduction in calling in favor of folding. For me, a leak in my eagle days was overcards -- pushing them too much and calling too much against multiple opponents when I had the odds if I counted 6 full outs. Also not giving passive players enough credit for turn raises, etc. So yes, look for spots to get value by raising more, but also consider that you may be paying off a bit too much.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, can you elaborate? I have a feeling I'm not playing them right, since you brought it up.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At a quick guess, I'd wonder how you played your draws and top pair hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good question.

i would say that on the flop, if i have an OPESD or flush draw i am usually seeking to get more money in the pot by whatever means necessary. this may mean just calling if someone on my right in EP leads and I want peeps behind me to call. it could mean raising in LP. it could mean cr someone on my immediate left. then on the turn, if i dont hit i think I am in ck/call mode most of the time.

i think that in those situations where some of you would raise a hand on the flop to clear an A out where you had Axs and a flush draw... I would tend to call to enoourage more customers.

i would say, generally with top pair that I am leading the action... rocking and rolling until someone indicates that I should slow down.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

another good suggestion.

if there arent a lot of opponents in the hand, i tend to take a stab at the pot and see what develops. if there are many opponents, i generally would check and call... depending on the action and pot odds.

of course i am just speaking on generalities. and i know it is more useful for me to post specific hands for discussion. but again i am taking a general overview as i am just scatching the surface for possibilities at this stage.

thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From my own experiences, I'm coming to the view that an important element of raising aggression is folding more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

another very good point, thank you.

I agree that folding as opposed to calling more can enhance your total agression factor. i will keep this in mind. however, i think that my goes to showdown figure may be a litlle lower than optimal as my W$SD maybe a little higher than optimal.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

From my own experiences, I'm coming to the view that an important element of raising aggression is folding more often

[/ QUOTE ]

My experiences are similar. My turn and river aggression has increased significantly over the past 20,000 hands, but most of the increase has come from a reduction in calling in favor of folding. For me, a leak in my eagle days was overcards -- pushing them too much and calling too much against multiple opponents when I had the odds if I counted 6 full outs. Also not giving passive players enough credit for turn raises, etc. So yes, look for spots to get value by raising more, but also consider that you may be paying off a bit too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes i do get in the paying off of turn c/r's like a slot machine. i try and monitor this b/c it can be hard to keep that balance. good point about passive opponents that c/r turn and giving them credit.

one element that does not exist in my game:

situation: MAxx is the pf aggressor w/ AKo. Flop is good with TPTK. MAxx leads flop and then turn. MAxx gets cr on turn. MAxx calls against a likely two pair as his outs against 2 pair are sufficient. MAxx does not improve with river. It is only one more bet to call, so I call. Just about everytime. I don't remember calling a turn cr and folding to one riverbet, headsup.