Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Call this all-in with JJ?

Be nice, I'm currently moving from only SNGs to NL ring games :-)

PokerRoom 25NL. Had been playing with villain 20-30 minutes. I had seen him go all in once before the flop and he took it down. Saw him go all in on a ragged flop and take it down. Other than that nothing special from him, seemed a little looser than the table but nothing too out of line.

2 hands before the hand in question he went all in with KK preflop, got called by 88 and the 8s hit their set. He went from ~30 down to around $10. Next hand he pushed all in preflop, got called by JJ, turned over QT and hit a straight, so he's back up to $20.

My stack is around $52 and the villain is 3 seats to my left. He is UTG and I'm on the button. I get dealt JJ and he pushes all in for the third hand in a row. Is this an auto-call? In a SNG I would call this every day and twice on sunday, and I'm pretty sure it's an auto call, but I know that most people won't get their chips in preflop without AA or KK, so I'm wondering if this is a situation where it's ok to go in with JJ?

I'll post my action later.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Call this all-in with JJ?

Given his previous actions, I'm willing to say that he doesn't have a pocket pair but a fairly big hand - I'd put him on AQ or AK... I would call this all-in as you said, anyday in a tourney, but in a cash-game, I'd be more hesistant... Again, given his past play, it seems he's pushing all-in on big hands. You've got him covered 3 to 1, so I'd do it.

You lost otherwise you wouldn't be posting here, but just giving my opinion.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:49 PM

Unless you're 99% sure he had a higher pocket pair, for the third time in a row, you have to push with JJ. Beauty of a ring game (vs. a tourney) is that you can always re-buy if needbe.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You lost otherwise you wouldn't be posting here, but just giving my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I did call and lose the hand but that's not what I'm worried about. I was ready to come post this before I even saw the outcome of the hand because, as I said, I'm still trying to learn about these all-in situations in regular cash game play. Thanks for the input thought.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're 99% sure he had a higher pocket pair

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think there's any way to be sure about this, is there? Is it a common occurance for people to push in with 2nd tier hands to pick up blinds and limpers in a cash game like it is in a SNG? I mean, I guess this guy did it once so there's no reason to expect he wasn't doing it again, but is it frequent?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:26 PM

Hi Mason,

2 things, I have noticed more recently that players that other people will think on tilt (ie have lost a big pot recently etc) will push with premium hands upfront as they likely get a call (especially at $25 NL)

In this case I draw the line for calling at KK (QQ if he is short) you are at best marginally ahead of AK/AQ or very much behind (QQ/KK/AA)

I fold (I'm probably weak/tight [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img])
Old 11-25-2004, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 things, I have noticed more recently that players that other people will think on tilt (ie have lost a big pot recently etc) will push with premium hands upfront as they likely get a call (especially at $25 NL)

In this case I draw the line for calling at KK (QQ if he is short) you are at best marginally ahead of AK/AQ or very much behind (QQ/KK/AA)

I fold (I'm probably weak/tight [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

That was exactly my thinking. I thought he was completely on tilt until he turned over AA and hit his set to boot :-( Against a normal player I would definitely draw the line at KK for a preflop push call, but against someone who just showed QT I think it was a good call and, truthfully, I would probably do it again in the same situation. Maybe that makes me an idiot [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 06:47 PM

Of course you can't be sure, which is why it's a auto push/call against a LAG who has pushed btf for two consecutive hands earlier.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:19 PM

figure out what range of hands he could be pushing with here. also figure out what range of hands you would need to make this call exactly break even. the answers to these two questions will make it clear why you should call in this situation vs a tilter
Old 11-26-2004, 01:04 AM

given I just read the results... in most cases i still like the call... you can't let a small stack start dominating the table... if you fold here then you're bending over and letting him start stealing the blinds and antes later on whenever he feels, unless of course you want him to try and do this and you have a plan... but still given this one hand and one hand alone i say you call... I hate trying to play jacks post flop, i'd much rather be up against an all in LAG PreFlop rather than try and read the field when cards start turning...maybe that's just me...

-Little Fish