Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Party Poker Swings

I find that I have been regularly swinging (usually down) 50BB or more at a clip on 10/20 on Party. Anyone else experience the same level of fluctuation? Im losing more than some guys at my table who are playing more than 70% of the hands, and its getting me frustrated. Been about 5 weeks since I have been able to win consistently. I can post my stats if anyone wants a look or thinks it will help.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Party Poker Swings

Those kind of swings are normal.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:37 AM

sometimes in the span of a single day, especially if you are playing short handed.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:44 AM

Thank you for your answer(and with that comes some reassurance). In the past, I dont remember such big swings on a regular basis. Also, with a 50-100BB swing, it makes a 300BB bankroll seem kind of small(not that I'm anywhere near that, just commenting). I was just surprised at the big swings, even while 3-4 tabling full games. At what point do you think the "normal" range ends(so that I can adjust my thinking accordingly). Also, if anyone can tell me how to calculate the Standard deviation for hands while multitabling(using some of the info that PT gives you from the session summary---> more detail page) I would appreciate it. thanks for your help.

Jason
Old 11-25-2004, 07:26 AM

A 300 BB bankroll is small for Party, especially shorthanded and especially if you are not a true expert.

-Michael
Old 11-25-2004, 07:33 AM

i had some huge swings playing 4 tables of the party 10 game, as much as 50 BB/hr. I found the game to be really loose, and every drawing hand gets there, big pairs dont hold up so well, and you will always be raised on the turn...no matter what. I found that game to be extremely stressful and have dropped down to the much more milder 5 game
V
Old 11-25-2004, 11:46 AM

Default exactly.

Last month, I went through 300BB on Party in 10 days, playing short-handed. Also, I am certainly anything but an expert, let alone a true expert.

TSP
Old 11-25-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I am certainly anything but an expert, let alone a true expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

But are you good? Better than your average opponent?

This is what concerns me about online poker.... Hearing all these good players going through 300 big bet swings. This can only mean, a). They do NOT have much of an edge, or b). Their SD is unreasonably high, or c). Both.

The question is, why do these otherwise good players have such a reduced win rate and/or assuming their win rate is fine, then why is their SD so high? It's to the point where if someone says they are making 2.5 bb's/100 hands through 80,000 hands, it really doesn't mean much. I mean, how can you accept the fact you can slide +300 big bets at any given time and still be comfortable that you are beating the game for 2.5 bb's/100 hands through only 80,000 hands? Can anyone explain this to me?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:45 PM

IMVHO 500B is a nice bankroll size for Party. You can probably get away with less and be safe but I like the cushion; thats a personal thing too though.