Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 03:44 PM

Default AQs - 15/30 - Big Pot

Did I play this ok? I didn't like that K on the turn after an early position limp re-raiser and a cap right after him in early position by another player.

My thinking was this is a BIG POT, I'm calling down to the end but check the turn and just call the bet instead of calling the guaranteed 2 bet if I bet, and possible 3 bet.

blubster

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Napolean is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Napolean raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Napolean calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (26 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Napolean checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Napolean raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (19 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Napolean checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks.

River: (19 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Napolean checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Re: AQs - 15/30 - Big Pot

You need to make that next bet on the turn, if nothing more than to find out more information, and also to drive out any second, third, or pocket pairs.

Imagine if you would that one of the callers had 77, and b/c of no bets on the turn, caught his two-outer to scoop the pot.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:11 PM

cap preflop and bet the turn.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:51 PM

Preflop was capped by UTG+2.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:31 PM

Im not a mid-high player, but what exactly are your thoughts on the turn/river here? I think you must bet that turn, and since everyone checked it I would also think a bet on the river is in order.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:39 PM

you're playing limit hold'em right...

so I feel that it is imperative that you should bet the turn, you have

9 cards which will give you a flush
and you have 2 cards which will give you trips
and you have 3 cards which will give you Aces up

and you may have the best and right now...
and you are about 3 to 1 have any of these cards pop up, which if taken by the amount of opponnents you have here assuming that all these cards are clean outs you should find a bet since you'll be collecting from 5 opponents.

You have more than enough pot equity to find a bet here especially because you also picked up a flush draw the nut flush draw that hand in itself plus the 2 additional outs of the Queens is more of a reason to bet the turn even if you up against AK.

The only hand that has you really hurting here is a set, and by the way the flop has played it seems like it doesn't. but the King should scare you none, if you are up against a set of Kings then so be it, you have a story for the grandkids and you can post this up in the bad beat forum.

Don't be afraid to throw in the extra bet, because that silly card popped up.

Like Ron Propeal says, bet it and forget it.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 PM

If my thinking is it's a big pot, I want to try to eliminate competition. That king is a good card to do so, since I bet the flop and still keep betting when an overcard to the flop comes. I'm not worried about getting raised because it's a big pot and I'm not worried about saving bets and I have outs to the nuts.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not a mid-high player, but what exactly are your thoughts on the turn/river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the crazy preflop action is the only reason I didn't bet the turn. I thought "what the hell is going on" when the pot got 3 bet and then 4 bet by the guy right after him. both guys were in early position which made me think im probably up against one monster, and possibly an AK. I put one of them to have a big hand at the minimum.

I'm trying to think back what my thinking was and now I remember what I was thinking. I was thinking if I bet here, I'm looking at a possible 3 bet here and I didn't want to call 3 bets to see the river. I put one guy on AK and I thought the other could possibly have AA or KK so I figured why call a possible 3 bets, just check and call 1 for sure and a likely raise which I wouldn't have minded calling since I had a draw to the nuts.

After everyone checked around, I was like "dam what the hell was that". then it got checked around again and I checked.

after I checked the river I felt. "dam I should have bet". thats where i was unhappy with my play the most. most times I bet the river here, but this was a wacky pot that got me out of my game and i stupidly checked.

blubster
Old 11-25-2004, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to make that next bet on the turn, if nothing more than to find out more information,

[/ QUOTE ] I agree that a turn bet is needed, but I don't think that there is any real value to information you will acquire by doing so. You will learn little and the pot is so big that you are going to showdown in almost all cases regardless.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:42 PM

I think (sorry guys) that you played the turn well. I think that in this situation you have the best hand on the turn something like 20% of the time but you have 14 outs to beat a king (if not AK or KQ) and other outs to beat a better hand that Kx. Here's my tought :if you bet and one of the utgs players raise you cost yourself a lot of money cause you really don't want a man holding any poker pair or a simple pair to fold .If a man's got a Kx you need to hit the river to take the pot.
Skanlsky says " bet the turn when you have no outs and check it when you have some"
I understand the ones who say that it would be terrific to lose against a guy who should have the turn but with a pot that big everybody is ready to call with anypair anyway. Then I really think that the combination of these thinks makes your play correct:you don't want players with a bad hand to fold if you hit the river, you have a really small chance to be ahead at the moment and every players with outs to beats to you are going to call.
Excuse my english..