Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Foxwoods - Tournament vs. Limit Players

Last night I was playing in a sleepy 5-10 game (kill every 20 hands) at Foxwoods playing my usual tight game with some loose moments thrown in to spice things up. At about 10:00 pm or so, the people who have busted out of the tournament start coming to our table and playing limit. Down to a man these tournament players were by far the worst at the table - chasing 2 outers to the river, gutshot straights and hanging with 2nd pair. It was a beautiful thing, all the good players were feasting on their stupidity. Is this typical? Is there that much dead money in the FW tourneys or is it that these guys just can't play limit poker?

Can't wait to go back on Sunday!!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods - Tournament vs. Limit Players

[ QUOTE ]
Is this typical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. At every level 20-40 and below, the Foxwoods games are almost always very good. In my experience, the 5-10 kill is the softest game in the house (in terms of earn in BB/hr. The 2/4 has weaker players, but the rake is prohibitively large.).

[ QUOTE ]
Is there that much dead money in the FW tourneys or is it that these guys just can't play limit poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. Most people suck at all forms of poker.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods - Tournament vs. Limit Players

While I agree that the 5/10 game there is almost always juicy, maybe the fact that the tournament is no-limit and the cash game is limit is something these people haven't adjusted their brains for. I mostly play no-limit cash games so when I make a rare appearance at a limit game, it seems like I'm always getting great odds to chase anything (because the bets are so much smaller relative to the size of the pot). Switching between limit and no-limit definitely requires a change of mentality, not to mention the mental adjustments between tournaments and side games. People that just busted out of a NL tournament are probably going to play particularly poorly if they jump right into a limit game (all the more so if they're not good players in the first place!)