Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Harrington on Hold \'Em book study group

Hi everyone. 2+2s latest book Small Stakes Hold 'Em turned out to be a complete masterpiece, and I'm looking very forward to Harrington on Hold 'Em coming out next month! I am interested in doing a book study group on the initial read. This has not been done as of yet, and there would be many obstacles to overcome. Some of these would be getting everybody to read on the same pace and allowing time for everybody who pre-orders to receive their copies amongst others. I am willing to adjust my own reading schedule if a group were willing to do so together, and I'm curious if others would be willing to do the same. If not, we could perhaps do the study in 6 months or so. If you are interested, please respond.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Harrington on Hold \'Em book study group

Actually whilst we await the Harrington book I would like to raise a couple issues here
1) In no way can small stakes be considered a great book, an Ok read yes, but not in the class of Lee Jones the defineitive work which I beieve in respect of Internet poker has been superseeded by another book which I won't go into. The most disturbing issue is the authors statement that they know little about small stakes essentially its all theory. Miller is supposed to add the practical side ever heard of him? In many of the books by practical writers you have the comments directed against the "Theory writers" When did Sklansky last win a major tourney? If it were only down to theory these writers would have more than 1 WSOP bracelet between them.
2)If you were a great player are you going to give away your secrets at $1 royalty per book (Yes if you are playing 20/40 in ring games at $40 per hour and have no hope in tourneys cos u play too tight) . What we see happening here is older players looking at their legacy and bringing out books for prosterity.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:26 PM

Post of the day?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually whilst we await the Harrington book I would like to raise a couple issues here
1) In no way can small stakes be considered a great book, an Ok read yes, but not in the class of Lee Jones the defineitive work which I beieve in respect of Internet poker has been superseeded by another book which I won't go into. The most disturbing issue is the authors statement that they know little about small stakes essentially its all theory. Miller is supposed to add the practical side ever heard of him? In many of the books by practical writers you have the comments directed against the "Theory writers" When did Sklansky last win a major tourney? If it were only down to theory these writers would have more than 1 WSOP bracelet between them.
2)If you were a great player are you going to give away your secrets at $1 royalty per book (Yes if you are playing 20/40 in ring games at $40 per hour and have no hope in tourneys cos u play too tight) . What we see happening here is older players looking at their legacy and bringing out books for prosterity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir you have had a quite productive first day on the forums. The brilliance you put into every post you write is that of a poker legend in the making. I look forward to many fine years of contribution from you and your obviously far superior intellect in the game of poker. Welcome to the forums!!! We are truly blessed to be in your company.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 PM

Miller is supposed to add the practical side ever heard of him?

I heard he's a demon in the sack.

2)If you were a great player are you going to give away your secrets at $1 royalty per book...

Of course not! I'd bet such a great player makes significantly more than a buck a book.

What we see happening here is older players looking at their legacy and bringing out books for prosterity.

I'm 25, so my prostate is just fine... for now.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 25, so my prostate is just fine... for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I'd say this was a cheap shot. But in this case... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 11:00 PM

Need I mention Ed went to M.I.T? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 11:04 PM

Well first of all this book isn't meant to show you how to beat the high stakes games. It is for low limits, hence the name. Mr. Sklansky is honest enough to tell you up front in the book that he didn't play at those low limits. I give him a big plus for being honest. Mr. Sklansky plays 300/600 if I remember correctly.

Second, It is all theory until you actually sit down and play. Then it becomes applied. They help you figure out how to apply the theory they give you.

Third, maybe he enjoys writing. There are people who enjoy working at different jobs that don't pay as well as what they could make elsewhere.

Fourth, Doyle asked Sklansky to write in Super System. If he thinks Sklansky is a great poker player, then I imagine he is one.

Oh and how many bracelets do you have?

Melch
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were only down to theory these writers would have more than 1 WSOP bracelet between them.

[/ QUOTE ]

P.S. there is more to poker than WSOP bracelets
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 AM

Hi Champ:

I agree completely. Lee Jones is the man.

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a great player are you going to give away your secrets at $1 royalty per book

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making an assumption here that's just not accurate. Do you really think we pay Miller $1 per book? That's the kind of royalty that a Phil Hellmuth type person gets. I guarantee that none of our writers get that amount.

Furthermore, if we paid him something decent, do you think he would be hard at work on two more books?

Best wishes,
Mason