Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Limping in with marginal hands

Lately since I've moved up to the 2/4 level (limit O8) at party, I'm seeing these players playing super super tight...rarely do I see 5 or more players seeing the flop...

However...any suggestions or guidelines on how I can loosen up a bit to play with some "marginal hands"?

For example: On the button...I'm dealt with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]...UTG calls...and another caller...rest folds to me...would to limp in with a hand like this??
Old 11-22-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Limping in with marginal hands

No. This hand has very few ways to win even against few oponents. Why would you want to loosen up when everyone else is playing super tight? You would want to do the opposite you would want to tighten up even more than the table average.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:15 PM

The problem I'm having is that when I play as tight as everyone else then I'm not getting the pot odds or making enough money.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I'm having is that when I play as tight as everyone else then I'm not getting the pot odds or making enough money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Max - Plus it's no damned fun at all to play that way - especially in a tight game.

34JJs is not a very good starting hand. I'd classify it as sub-marginal. Even double suited it would be sub-marginal.

23JJs would only be a marginal starting hand for this group of opponents, IMHO.

Holding JJXX, you're only going to catch a jack on the flop about one time out of eight. The other seven times out of eight your jacks are tough to play after the flop and don't add much value to your hand. If you miss a jack on the flop, the probability of catching a jack on the turn is 2/45. (odds are 43 to 2 against). Pretty slim pickings.

I figure 34JJ will end up as the nut low on the river only about 7.14% of the time, and will not make any low at all roughly two times out of three. (63.48%)

Thus the hand is not a hand with which to enter this action, IMHO.

However, I think you can get away with playing it under certain circumstances in a loose game, where your opponents are playing even worse starting hands.

The secret, if you want to play more hands, is to find a loose game. And there are plenty of them out there.

However, even in a loose game, you might still do better not playing 34JJs.

But I'd see the flop with it for one small bet from the button in a loose game, because that's more fun for me than just folding hand after hand after hand. Then, having seen the flop (but not in the game you're describing), I'd play it by ear, but probably folding on the second betting round after having missed a nice fit on the flop.

If a low limit Omaha-8 game is not fun, what's the point in playing? One can surely make more money (and have a better time) doing something other than playing tight-ass low-limit Omaha-8.

Just my opinion. And I love the game.

Buzz
Old 11-22-2004, 03:35 PM

i'd play this hand given theres no danger of a raise behind me and i'll have position throughout

its easy enough to get away from if the flop misses u

as a caveat, i see a lot of flops in low limit o/8 in general, especially in position

mike
Old 11-22-2004, 05:29 PM

In a limit O-8 game JJ34 even double suited as mentioned is prety weak. In a PLO8 game, JJ34 is certainly playable from the button (if you know what you're looking for), but in a limit game, unless you're in the SB or BB I would drop it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes generally that means you have to play premium hands, it also means you don't necessarily need the nuts to win when you're only up against 1 or 2 other opponents. However JJ34 is a bad hand to play regardless of the situation. These games can still be beat if the competition is also weak, but my advice if you're getting bored silly waiting for premium hands is to just find a juicier game. Part of any player's arsenal of skills should be game selection.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:50 AM

Bad Hand
Trouble is you have poor low and your high will often get busted invariably in large pots. You will be the sucker at the table.
Consider playing all hands with 4 cards 10 or better.
Play the high run down hands 7,8,9,10 particuarly against AA or high hands.
Play A3X
you should be up to about 13 hands per 100 dealt.
Consider finding a less tight table.