Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 03:54 PM

Default TPTK after Turn C/R from BB

Longtime lurker, 1st time poster.

Standard? BB is 55/6 after 50 hands.

Hero open raises in LMP with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], CO calls, BB calls

Flop (6SBs) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, BB calls

Turn (4BBs) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Hero calls.

River (12 BBs) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls.

Any comments, especially about the turn 3-bet?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: TPTK after Turn C/R from BB

I'm not crazy about the 3 bet. This line almost always means they can beat a pair, even if its the highest one.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:37 PM

I like the turn 3-bet. I've seen a lot of players C/R the turn with top pair on the flop, hoping to catch the pre-flop raiser with overcards that didn't catch or a big pocket pair that's lower than top pair. Usually, I respect turn checkraises, so I generally need at least TPTK to continue, which is obviously the case here. Plus, the loose BB here could easily have two pair, in which case you have redraws. I don't think I would have played it differently - you had to slow down after he capped it, but I think you're good often enough to call down to a showdown. If you've got a better read on the guy, I can see why maybe you wouldn't have 3-bet the turn but I would probably still call down.

One more thought - the fact that you open-raised makes me like your actions more - open-raising generally doesn't require as stringent raising requirements, so he might think you were on a steal.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:51 AM

I agree with Evan. A turn raise, checkraise or not, usually means the raiser can beat top pair. The exception is when the turn is bigger than any card on the flop, but it usually means he can beat top pair in that situation too. I would assume in this situation that he had 67 for the straight because he did cap the turn, which someone might be loathe to do with a small set and the King out there with a three bet coming back.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:06 PM

You are beat by any number of common hands once the 4 comes. K4, 54, and 67 for example. I don't like the 3-bet. Call and pray for the best.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]