Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 AM

Default deep 1-2 AA

1-2, no max game on campus. i have ~800, villain is tricky and good and has me way covered. we're 9 handed at this point, most of the table has around 2-400.

i have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in mp. villain opens for 8 early, meaning he most likely still has two cards, or possibly just feels like playing without any. folded to me, i make it 30; he is my only caller. his read of me is probably that i have something i like, but me liking a hand is still a pretty wide range. i'd say he probably puts me on aa-88, aks-jts, ako-kjo. his calling defines his hand no more than it did previously; if anything, he is more likely to have crap, trying to trap for my stack.

flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x

he checks to me, i check.

turn is y [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

check, i bet 25

i think i played this horribly. suggestions?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: deep 1-2 AA

Your check on the flop is suspicious, and your $25 bet is terrible (too small) in my opinion. This bet gives villain odds for a draw, and may encourage him to run a big bluff. I think you should have bet $60. Though I would be inclined to bet this amount on the flop, a reasonable case may be made for waiting until the turn; I am not sure.

-PG
Old 11-20-2004, 01:15 PM

This player will expect you to bet the flop with anything that you repopped him with PF, so the check is suspicious. At the same time this player knows you know that you have to bet top or middle set against a flush draw/straight draw board, so then villain might suspect that you don't have a set.

I know what you were trying to do by checking through the flop. Namely on retardedly deep money you're playing AA for a small pot here. That being said you still need to pot the turn. Checking is awful and will force villain to overbet any river and put you in a bad spot. Plus it may come off a 4th diamond and then you're really screwed. The problem is that betting only 25 doesnt really change that....if the pot is 60 your bet of 25 gives him roughly the immediate odds to draw to a one card flush.

I was playing the 5-10 last night (fiiiiiiiiiiiishy) so I haven't heard about this hand yet but my suspicion is that Sammy c/r you on the turn and you had to fold?

The Doc
Old 11-20-2004, 01:58 PM

i understand you want to play the hand for a small pot, but bet the flop and check the turn. checking the flop and betting the turn just doesnt make much sense
Old 11-20-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This player will expect you to bet the flop with anything that you repopped him with PF, so the check is suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think, given the stack sizes, this is a pretty good case for just calling preflop. especially with people left to act, where i can repop it if they raise and actually get a good portion of my stack in (about 25% of what plays against them, if sammy folds)
Old 11-20-2004, 05:47 PM

This initially made me jealous. Then it made me book tickets home...[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do not like checking the flop against Sammy here and I hate calling him preflop here unless you think that you are very likely to face a reraise.

Unless Sammy has changed the way he plays substantially, he can have way too many hands here and will play them too well postflop to justify just calling, especially since he will call too big of a reraise preflop with almost every hand he openraises with. He will gamble it up a bit preflop, and you were right to punish him for it. If anything I might have raised it up a bit more.

Unless your image has changed substantially since I left, I don't think you should worry that much about Sammy stealing this pot from you too much if you play it aggressively. When I played with you, I would not have thought it was worth trying to push you off of a hand in this spot. Maybe that's changed, though.

Also, unless there was a complete moron in the game with exactly 800, you were playing way too deep--I think that had a lot to do with why you felt lost in this hand.

scrub
Old 11-20-2004, 05:54 PM

In retrospect, I think it depends a lot on Sammy's mood at the table at the time. I don't like just calling when he's in one of his erratic postflop periods--things just get too complicated. If he's playing more predictably, the call could be fine.

Also, I have no idea who you guys had convinced to play that big with you, but I'd like just calling more than I do if (1) I thought there was a good chance I would get to reraise or (2) I thought there was a good chance I would have the button or only one player acting behind me, and that player would have to be pretty straightforward.

scrub
Old 11-20-2004, 06:05 PM

(2) would most likely have been the case had i called. i honestly don't remember which postflop mode sammy was in at the time, but we were deep enough to have been playing pretty straightforwardly agaisnt each other postflop for most of the night, at least when large percentages of our stacks were in play.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM

i had bought in for 4, which covered the people i wanted to have covered. sammy bought in to cover everyone else combined, and i had doubled up early on. i also had been playing enough pots that i think just calling could get sammy to put in a lot more postflop money when he was behind, as opposed to if i had reraised. iirc, forrest and ryan were in the blinds for this hand, so at least one of them most likely would've come along also had i just called.

edit: also, the fact that sammy was unlikely to make a play with a worse hand, given my image, is one reason i didn't play it aggressively. i just couldn't really see him paying me off with anything that was behind.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i honestly don't remember which postflop mode sammy was in at the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you were definitely playing too deep. It's the most important thing about the hand.

scrub