Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 06:29 PM

Default 2/4 44

I played some Party 2/4 this afternoon in order to test out my sweet new monitor! I don't have any player reads.

Anyway, this hand came up. I have black fours in MP and limp after UTG does. The Button raises, and both the blinds call. So does UTG.

Flop is 884 with two diamonds, giving me a boat. It's checked to me and I check, intending to raise the field. But Button checks behind.

River is an offsuit Ace. It's checked around to me again, I check again, intending to raise again.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: 2/4 44

Yeah, I do this also.

Inevitable I bet the river after a slew of turn checks, and JJ calls me.

I'd bet the flop. If you just get called in one or two spots, bet the river. On passive tables, I've missed a ton of turn checkraises on players I thought were aggro enough to fire away if I check the turn here. On a good day you get raised on the turn, on a bad day they fold to the river bet after the turn CR misses.

If you're gonna check the flop, I like the turn check on the ace -- I'm guessing you'd bet it on a different turn card, say a jack?

ElSapo
Old 11-19-2004, 06:58 PM

please dont tell me you whiffed again on river. jk
Old 11-19-2004, 07:07 PM

In this scenerio I've been betting the flop and getting overcards to call. Check/call the turn and then bet out the river. My line of thought is trying to get the big cards to catch up and then show them weakness on my part to maybe get a 3 bet on the river... My opinion anyway!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:39 PM

I'm assuming you mean the turn in your post? Not river?

Interesting hand. Betting or checking the flop is an interesting decision. As a default, you certainly can't expect that the PF raiser is going to check it through, so I like your line.

On the turn, I'd probably bet out. At this point, I think anyone that would call a single bet from the button before you C/R it, would also potentially call 2 bets as well. A flush draw, or low pair, or even TT or 99 might call two cold. I think betting the turn is a must though, because you certainly don't want KK checking it through again.

Also, you have the chance to put in a 3-bet if you get some cold callers, who will probably call one more bet on the turn.

So, I like the line on the flop, but on the turn I think I'd bet when checked to.

Shouldn't you be working on PECOTA, not messing around with 2/4? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 08:01 PM

Am I missing something? Your hand is not vulnerable so you dont need to c/r the flop. Bet out in hopes you get callers in this already big pot, which will probably happen. When the ace spikes on the turn that may be the time to c/r but its tough because you lose big if everone called your flop bet and the pf raiser checks behind you on the turn. You should bet the flop for value the pot has 10-12sb in it already enough for people to call with ther gutshots, overcards, overpairs, or whatever people feel like.

Does anyone feel like this is kinda weak tight. You are so focused on getting in a c/r that you lose two whole rounds of betting in what started as a large pot. With no more bets going in on the flop, by the turn, when the bet doubles, its now just a small to medium sized pot in terms of trying to get callers with their reduced pot odds.

Bet the flop.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 PM

I don't mind your line at all. But I also don't mind just flat betting the flop. It sure doesn't make sense that you would bet when you are somewhat likely to be raised (although raising with overcards isn't all that common), but it doesn't matter. You are never, ever given credit for what you have and you get paid off a ton of bets when you run into somebody holding something legitimate. And if it doesn't get raised, everyone is calling on this flop.

-Michael
Old 11-19-2004, 08:13 PM

How is checkraising protecting your hand? The likely bet is coming from your immediate left.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:10 PM

Meh...I lie. Whatever, I go for a flop checkraise here every time with your hand.

-Michael
Old 11-19-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Results

I gotta go get my eats and drunks on, so I'll reveal the results ahead of time here.

The Button checked it through on the turn. The river was a blank. It was checked to me, I bet and was called by one of the blinds that had a weak ace.

I don't think that the flop check-raise was a mistake, although I may be suffering from 15/30 syndrome. The preflop raiser bets a very high percentage of the time in that game when checked to.

I think checking the turn was probably a mistake, but I'll let you guys elaborate.