Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Long time lurker, first post

First, a brief background. I am an avid reader of these forums, and a solid winner at 2/4, with over 70k hands so far this year. I have a well paying job that I enjoy, and have no delusions of turning 'pro'. That said, I am passionate about the game, as is everyone here. Recently, I started mixing in some 3/6 tables, with the goal of moving there full time once I feel comfortable. Yes, I am sufficiently bankrolled.

However, on my first few forays into this game (5k hands so far, I know, small sample, etc, I'm not looking for any statistical advice) I have noticed the game is a bit different than the 2/4. Namely, more aggressive. I've tightned up somewhat, and am working on getting my aggression level comensurate with the play. Mind you, I'm not getting killed at this game, but haven't experienced the kind of success I had at 2/4.

All of this I expected. But for the first time in a long time, I find myself lost in the middle of a hand at times. Maybe lost isn't the right word, but I am certain I am not playing optimally for this level. So, in an effort to improve, I look forward to your comments on my play. I will try to contribute to the forum as well. On to the hand... (I haven't had the luxury of using Bison's hand converter yet, but will do my best)

Party 3/6 9handed
Table is moderately loose, usually 4 to the flop, with half the hands being raised pre-flop. Both blinds are somewhat aggressive. MP3 is loose-passive.

Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero raises, 3 folds, MP3 cold calls, 2 folds, SB raises, BB caps, all call.

<font color="blue"> (4 players, 16sb's) </font>
Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, MP3 cold calls, SB cold calls, BB 3 bets, Hero caps, all call.

<font color="blue"> (4 players, 16 bb's) </font>
Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, Hero???

This is my dilemma. At 2/4, I bet without hesitating. I know I am behind here. If I bet, and get raised, do I just call? If I check and it's checked through, is that disastrous? At first glance, this seems like a fairly straight-forward hand to me, and I'm sure it is to you too. But in principle, this is the kind of hand that at 3/6 that is giving me trouble, due to the difference in aggresion. I am becoming more accustomed to it, but it is a journey. Thanks for your thoughts....
Old 11-19-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Long time lurker, first post

check and call. You are behind. Your flush outs are your only clean outs (though an ace is a good card for you).
Old 11-19-2004, 03:46 PM

After the cap on the flop...someone you have to believe someone is ahead of you. This is an easy check through at 50c/1, 1/2, 2/4 or 3/6.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:53 PM

Easy check. I'm spewing chips if an ace, king, or a non-seven club hits the river though.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check and call. You are behind. Your flush outs are your only clean outs (though an ace is a good card for you).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, there is no question I am behind. Wasn't sure if a bet with 3 opponents, and a pot this large would be considered a value bet, especially with only 1 player to act behind me. The pot is laying 16-1, and I'm 4-1 to hit my flush. I wasn't really counting any over card outs either.

Anyway, it was checked through. The river brought the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], checked to me, I bet, all called, and MHIG. SB showed TT, BB showed QQ, and MP3 showed 66.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:10 PM

BB doesn't look like he's laying down to a turn bet, though it is very interesting that he checked, now that I think of it. I'd probably put him on QQ or KK and check behind, taking the free card that you earned by capping the flop (assuming MP3 cooperates).

Hopefully MP3 doesn't wake up and bet here, because if he does, I think you may in some trouble (at best, drawing to a club).
Old 11-19-2004, 04:11 PM

You're 4-1 to make your flush, and a bet and 3 calls would lay you only 3-1. But you don't even know that everyone will call.

Now, it gets a little complicated because an A might be good or a K might be good, but there's also a possibility that a club will fall that fills someone up, and an A or K may persuade you to lose more money on the river if someone has a 7 or a boat, so...

Basically, you do not have a bet for value here.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:16 PM

Also, please note that I'm discounting your outs heavily because of the preflop and flop action. You are almost certainly behind and you don't have the odds to bet for value - why is this an automatic bet for you at 2/4 with this action?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:17 PM

Basically, you do not have a bet for value here.

Point taken. In trying to raise my aggression level, I'm looking for spots to be more aggressive. Thought I might have missed an opportunity here. Thanks...
Old 11-19-2004, 04:20 PM

why is this an automatic bet for you at 2/4 with this action?

hmmmm... Maybe I have become too comfortable within the friendly confines of 2/4.