Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Fold the flush?

So I'm playing a .5/1 NL UB game, 10 handed, no wait, I turn around, look back, and it's 5 handed. I'm about ready to get up when I'm dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. I limp in, 4 to the flop.

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Well, I'm not leaving this table quite yet.

Checked to the CO($72). He bets 3 into a 4 dollar pot.

What should I do?

I've got about $109 in my stack, I raise it to 10.

SB ($80) wakes up and reraises to $20. Folded to me. What do I do?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Fold the flush?

call, push on non-heart turn. he could easily make this play w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q or AQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], AQ, Q9, etc etc.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB ($80) wakes up and reraises to $20. Folded to me. What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, see what he does on the turn.

But...
If another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] lands, you're not putting another cent into this pot.
If the board pairs and he "slows," you really shouldn't put another cent into the pot.
If it blanks, and he fires again, I think you can lay it down. Unless this player is getting over aggro with something like TP, and "trying to protect against the draws," you probably are drawing dead.

But... I really dont think it's too profitable to fold flopped flushes 5 handed when raised. (Or even in this case, check re-raised, which sure is an indication of strength - or the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which is still pretty strong)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:29 PM

I'd put the small blind on the Ace of hearts, call his raise, then see the turn. If there's no heart, bet out and then substantially reraise any bet by him. If he calls that, then you may have a problem.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:14 PM

Would anyone go all in to the reraise here?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone go all in to the reraise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure some would, but it's not the best play.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:55 PM

It seems like calling is the worst play you make here.

From other explanations, your calling to give the other guy another chance to bluff at it. If the turn is a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , you have to fold. If the turn is a blank, and if he's any sort of player at all, he's going to bet again.

You have to make the play on the flop. Your hand is not going to improve at all. If he is going for the heart flush then you have to make him pay. Get all your money in when you think your at the advantage.

If you think he has the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] then why would you just call? After check-raising he's going to bet the turn no-matter what. Why give him a chance to improve his hand if he doesn't already have it cinched.

Don't really know why anyone would ever just call here,
- unless you decided that loose-passive is the way to go
It's re-raise or fold

I would fold here.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:04 PM

fold the flopped flush to a meager double-the-bet raise? I can't believe my ears.

He could be raising with ANY SORTS of hands....a set, a straight, even two pair. Note that he didn't tell us what type of person SB is...and with no read, I would NEVER fold this hand. It is DEFINITELY a call, and maybe a re-raise, but never a fold. Don't give your opponents too much credit...if they think they can get you to fold a flopped flush, you're in deep doo-doo.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Why is everyone recommending to just call here? The opponent check-re-raised on that board, he clearly likes his hand. Yes, you get out much cheaper when a heart falls on the turn, but you also don't let your opponent make a mistake. If a heart doesn't fall, will the opponent bet out again? You all assume so, but if the opponent is stupid enough to re-semi-bluff with the A of hearts, or re-bet his set, he's also stupid enough to re-re-raise all in on the flop. I don't see an opponent stupid enough to check-raise a straight or set here being able to get away from his hand.

I also don't think a push is justified. I think raising it to 40 or 50 and hoping the opponent comes over the top is the right way to do it. There's no read on the opponent, but is he foolish enough to call on a naked A of hearts?

And yes, I realize I'm ruling out the possibility of a better flush. But if you fold this here, you may as well not bother playing hands like 56s. Your implied odds from playing such hands comes from winning pots like this.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Couldn't you just raise pot to cut his odds to improve?