Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 04:14 AM

Default What\'s your move here

NL100, Blinds $1/2

I am dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG. I open for $10. The table has been very passive the last several orbits, so I felt AQo was worth a raise even though I am UTG.

Folded around to the BB who calls. He bluffs a bit too much, but has also shown down some winners and isn't a complete fish/maniac by any means.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. ($21)

BB checks. I check.

Turn is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. ($21)

BB checks again. I bet $20. ($41)

BB calls. ($61)

Hmm, I'm thinking his possible holdings are a made flush, QJ, AJ, KQ, JT, QT, KT, 22, 55 -- he could call here with a lot of hands that beat me, or several that are behind. Not sure what to read him as.

River is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. ($61)

BB now leads out for $20. ($81)

He could be bluffing, but I don't want to be wrong and pay off his two pair or flush. Very tricky bet because it almost asks for a call, but also looks a bit weak.

Do you fold, call, or raise?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:56 AM

Default Re: What\'s your move here

You only need to win 1 time in 4 to break even on calling this bet. Raising is bad since it's basically a bluff. You have too much to fold and not enough to raise, so I'd just call.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:16 AM

I call, based on your description of him. However, I wouldn't feel 100% secure with it.
Opening for 5 BB with AQ off? That's a 10th of max buy-in. If the players are any good, getting called would usually mean you're up against a better hand, especially with that board.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:56 AM

It really seems like youre beat here. I dont know. Hes passive on the flop. Passive on the turn. Then comes out underbetting the river? The thing is i dont think you can fold, just because you cant let him pull this play on you. If he got you to fold the best hand 20% of the time hes making a profit. At the same time, i dont think you have a hand thats worth a raise. The only reasonable hand you beat here is KQ. So just flat call and pay off his flush, two pair, set.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is i dont think you can fold, just because you cant let him pull this play on you. If he got you to fold the best hand 20% of the time hes making a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad many of you are advocating what I ended up doing. I was pretty sure he had me beat, but I was getting decent odds to call. And I agree with you here, I cannot let him pull this play.

I thought it was a great bet if he was bluffing, I nearly folded. Really threw me for a loop.

I called. He showed A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG! How he calls my turn bet with just a 6 high flush draw, I have no clue.

DBowling, what was it you were saying about datamining at one of my tables? I was away or I would have responded.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 AM

i call here. there is just too many possible hands he could have, also he led with a bet that seems like he wants you to raise. you can't fold TPTK for that amount though.
-river
Old 11-19-2004, 10:54 AM

call, you're getting 4:1, and i think you win this at least 25% of the time. i wouldn't raise since there's a good possibility that you're beat and you don't want to reopen betting for him, giving him the chance to push you off your hand or to lose more money.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Yea that was me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I dont know why revealed myself, just giving you a heads up i guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I just moved up from 50nl, so ive been leaving the computer on collecting hands.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:31 PM

Do you often check these flops? Or check vs this player?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:05 PM

Just depends. Sometimes I will bet, sometimes I will check behind for a free card (worked well here). Yes, I might have been able to pick up the pot on the flop with a bet, but if you do that every time at NL100 you'll eventually get check-raised with a hand you have to let go of. You see that by checking, I then hit my queen on fourth street which was somewhat deceptive and allowed me to make more money on the hand.