Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 01:56 AM

Default 2/4 average pot size

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I had heard that the 2/4 games at Party skins were better than the 1/2 games....mostly because of better game selection and more 'identifiable' blinds for B&M players.

I just finished my first 5K at 2/4, and although it's still early I'm seeing the opposite:

25K at 1/2 SF% 38.86 average pot 7.7 BBs ($15.41)
5K at 2/4 SF% 34.65 average pot 6.8 BBs ($27.30)

I know it's a small sample size, but does anyone have evidence to the contrary? Or is this in line with what I should expect?

Thanks for any input....
Old 11-19-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: 2/4 average pot size

....damn [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 05:10 AM

i think that you have to probably practice a bit better table selection. just sign up and wait for the biggest average pot size. The good games during the week should be about $40, and on the weekends, they can get to almost $50. You can use the search function to look for yourself at points during your sessions. If the table has tightened up, you should get up and leave. I try to always either be at the games with the largest average pot size or on the waiting lists for those tables. Also, try to get a buddy list of some super fish and follow some of them around. this may seem not too important at party 2/4, but it becomes much more important as the stakes increase. This difference is very noticeable at 3/6.

Overall, the games seem to attract the worlds worst poker players, and thus it is possible to really crush the 2/4. good luck
light
Old 11-20-2004, 05:16 AM

wow, I think you need to work on table selection. $27 is a crappy table average for party 2/4
Old 11-20-2004, 05:19 AM

I wouldn't focus so much on average pot size. Also, the SF% isn't all that much different from 1/2. As far as table selection goes, you really need to be looking for tables with several players who are loose and passive. Many times, the average pot size is because of one recent, monster pot. Further, these tables with the big pot sizes often have waiting lists that simply aren't worth waiting for - that is, they get clogged with players who are tighter, looking for the same profit you are.

Average pot size tends not to matter to me so much. As long as the table proves to be loose and passive, I'm happy. Also recognize that a good table could have very small pots because of how passive the players are. In other words, there could be a seat open at a table full of players just waiting to call your aggressive bets, thus making the pots you get involved in bigger.

Another reason average pot size isn't the way to go is that it could be an indicator of high aggression from several players.

Just keep tabs on players. Use PokerTracker. Know who is generally loose and passive. Seek them out.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:04 AM

I don't like using the limited info at party to make a decision. I'm still building my opinions of party players, so I pick "first table with 9 players" and sit. I then wait for my blind and watch. If I don't have a definite read on the table as a whole by the first orbit I really pay attention to that table for the second. At this point I make my decision.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:30 AM

Build your fish list, your table selection is probably poor.

I didnt play much $2/$4 but my AP stats were $28.71 (8.6BB)
and ASF(SF) 40.30.