Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 07:09 PM

Default 3/6 Stud Hi hand where everyone will hate my play.

Hi,

I'm soliciting feedback. I've been away from the 3/6 party game for a few months as I spent my BR and had to play HE to replenish my BR to get back to 3/6.

Background.

Seat 7 is lagtastic by my quick impression. My stud mentor filled me in after I sat down that he also used to play 20/40 a lot and had busted out. So to me that means he's very agressive and probably bad.

Seat 8 is of course me. I just sat down. I don't think I have an image yet. I've been folding a lot though.

Seat 5 is unknown to me.

3rd Street: (1.16 SB )

Hero is Seat 1. (7 players)
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 5 brings it in for $1, 1 fold, Seat 7 completes, Hero raises, 3 folds, Seat 5 calls, Seat 7 3-bets, Hero calls, Seat 5 calls.

Seat 7 could have anything to open here. Most likely I'm only slightly behind. So I two bet to isolate. Well. I'm probably behind way behind, but the pots nice and big so I've got to call.

4th Street: (10.16 SB ) (3 players)
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 7 double bets, Hero calls, Seat 5 calls.

If 7seat 3 bet with split 7's I'm in trouble. Is he capable of that? Yes. He is more likely to just have 2 pair. So I call. Normally I'd raise here if I was reasonalby sure I was just against 1 pair.

5th Street: (8.08 BB ) (3 players)
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 7 bets, Hero calls, Seat 5 calls.

If he hadn't paired I'd raise here too. As I'd really like my chances of winning now. Though, we can't seem to shake the 5 seat.

6th Street: (11.08 BB ) (3 players)
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 7 bets, Hero calls, Seat 5 raises, Seat 7 3-bets, Hero caps, Seat 5 calls, Seat 7 calls.

I catch my draw, but I don't raise. I'm reasonably sure seat 5 is going to raise. If he does I'm very sure he has the str8. Meaning Seat 7 probably didn't catch the case 7 on 4th and if he did, he's not got a lot of chances of filling with a decent amount of dead kickers. I'm going to raise if seat 5 re-opens the betting. When Seat 7 three bets well, he is very agressive and so I take my chances and cap it here.

7th Street: (23.08 BB ) (3 players)
Seat 7 checks, Hero bets, Seat 5 calls, Seat 7 calls.

Final Pot: 26.08 BB

I have to bet here. Everyone will call with worse hands and only raise with hands the beat me

Results later:
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Stud Hi hand where everyone will hate my play.

why are you trying to isolate with a flush draw? isnt this the type of hand that prefers company?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:40 AM

He also has 3 overcards (and a bad 3 straight) to the LAG opener's door.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:54 AM

I agree with not raising the flush draw on 3rd. You don't have much straight possibility here and I wouldn't psyched about playing that board against a raiser who could have anything. You could very well catch a J or Q and have no clue where you stand.

I think the line you took turned this hand into a pretty straight forward "call down mode" hand...but I'm not sure if that's bad or good.

Also, why exactly do you think seat 5 is gonna raise here you don't know that he has the straight...sure you might guess that...but even given that he has the straight are you sure he'll raise the guy whos been going full steam ahead and you with a 3 flush cards?? I think that when you combine these 2 factors you should probably make the raise so you can be sure it goes in. But good job on having the right intuition.

Oh yeah, are you sure you can put this guy on "complete psycho" so fast that you have absolutely no respect for a double bet on 4th, and hense cap on 6th??
Old 11-19-2004, 01:56 AM

but he also has a full table that could realize opener is LAG and thus call a bit too freely building a good multiway pot

I also would really be thinkin' "straight draw" with this hand
Old 11-19-2004, 02:23 AM

Hi,

If I didn't two bet here, I couldn't profitably two bet when I do have a 'legit' hand.

Just calling is an option too, but it does telegraph my hand some what. Against someone I know who actually thinks at a higher level, even badly, I feel my disguise is needed.

7CSFAP21ed., which I just got for a BDay gift, Talks about this situation on pages 49, but I think this is common stud knowledge.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could very well catch a J or Q and have no clue where you stand. [/Quote]

I was firmly, rightly or wrongly, behind 2 pair better then anything I could make or trip 7's. Leaning towards two paair but well aware he might have trips.

Had the hand gone down differently, I was planning on calling with any two pair If he never catches an open pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why exactly do you think seat 5 is gonna raise here you don't know that he has the straight...sure you might guess that...but even given that he has the straight are you sure he'll raise the guy whos been going full steam ahead and you with a 3 flush cards?? I think that when you combine these 2 factors you should probably make the raise so you can be sure it goes in. But good job on having the right intuition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had a feeling given his 4 str8 board and that he called two cold he's going to pop in a raise here if I didn't raise. If I did raise I was very certain he'd not raise and we might even lose him. As I'd have to have a very big hand to raise a paired door.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, are you sure you can put this guy on "complete psycho" so fast that you have absolutely no respect for a double bet on 4th, and hense cap on 6th??

[/ QUOTE ]

My mentor, who played with him for several months at 20/40, said he was overly agressive and overplayed bad hands. Maybe thats not complete psycho, but I'm leaning towards him only having two pair.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:55 AM

Given the description and the river play, I think your reads were correct. Third street is fine, although his 3bet here would indicate the dead aces or KK in the hole ordinarily. I think you played it well the rest of the way. NH sir.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:38 AM

I don't think a call on 3rd will telegraph much to the average PP 3/6 player. But there are some that pay attention

I'm not sure what I'd think of my comments if this was a 5-10 or higher (5-10 is still a bit questionable I hear). I don't have enough experience above this level to comment intellegently.

Question :: If he is soo aggressive that he will keep firing bets with just 77 or a low 2 pair or something like that does this make waiting for a high PP an attractive option?

Alot of people will continue to bet iffy hands if they aren't getting any resistance (I'm one of them) and against these players check calling with high pocket pairs can be very attractive.

The main reason why I'm skeptical of play is this...I don't run into many hyperaggressive people at the 3/6 tables but they do exist. If this guy is hyperaggressive I would try to have him build a nice multiway pot for me. And I would wait until I had a sweet Heads up/3-way hand to try to confront him

Jon
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 AM

I think you overplayed the hand but caught nice to give it some merit. I don't think referencing 7CSFAP makes the case any better for not just calling.

You can mix up your play plenty of other ways for the players on the next level. Your fl draw is better suited to multi-way and is in good shape because the LAG might help you get it. I disagree with raising on 3rd.