Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 04:23 PM

Default Home Poker League set-up

Well we're finally setting one up, as we run more than a couple nights a week with a regular crowd. Usually we play from 5 to 15 players (depending on the night.)

I have seen other people mention a league and was wondering how exactly you set up your point systems.

Our problem is that some night we have 4-5 and oters there are 13 people.

So the people that play every time (and win the easier 4-5 player games) will have a distinct advantage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Home Poker League set-up

Do a system where there are more points awarded when you play against more people. For instance, have the points pool start with 10 points and add 2 points for every person playing that night. Obviously playing with less people will still be an advantage, but it is not as noticeable.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:22 PM

I started keeping track of our games back in June 04. We struggled to get 5 people in the game. Now we're between 8 and 12 players. The system I use is from Poker School Online. It's some kind of log system. It took a while for me to figure out in Excel. (Details are below). This system works out pretty well for us. Nobody ever gets 100%. (Even if you win every single game). I'm ranked number 1 in my league with 70% or so. You can see how we rank at www.northjerseypoker.com

Here's the details from PSO's page:

Rankings Formula

The Natural "Logarithm Rankings" system gives no advantage to simply playing more often -- but, it gives more weight to good results, and less weight to bad results, such that one exceptionally bad result does not 'kill' your ranking for the whole week, and one exceptionally good result will not give you a safe enough lead that you can then just 'sit on'...

Calculation details:

Where "X" is finishing place out of "N" players, each player's individual tournament result is valued at:

ln ( (N + 1) / X )

ln = "natural" base for logarithms -- a universal number known as "e" = 2.718282... ( second in fame only to "pi" = 3.141593...)

-- and "natural logarithms" are logarithms "to the base e" -- that is,

numbers expressed as powers of "e"... The base "e" is key in many mathematical applications.

...averaged over his number of plays...for example, with 300-player tournaments, a player finishing 1st, 300th, 300th would rate 1.9046, just slightly better than a player finishing 45th every time, 1.9004...

And then these 'natural logarithms' are converted back into "percentiles".

Converting logarithms back to percentiles

To convert the natural log score back to percentile, you need to use this formula:

(1 - exp (-L) ) * 100

The variable L is the average of all the natural log score. The 'exp' means the inverse of natural log.

For example, these are log scores from 3 different tournaments: 1.5, 2.0, and 1.0, so the average is 1.5.

Then plug that number into the above formula:

= (1 - exp ( -1.5 ) )* 100
= (1 - 0.22313016 ) * 100
= 77.686984
Old 11-19-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Home Poker League set-up.

Hey,
In our home league we have a great system for points that encourages people to play as many tourneys as possible, plus it rewards the most consistent, AKA best, rather than lucky players.
In addition to your buy-in have a mandatory contribution, similar to the house fee in a tourney, that goes to your player of the ______ award (month/quarter/year etc.) Then run your tourneys on a regular payoff schedule for a tourney of that size (top three etc). In addition dole out points for the place in the tourney based on how many people play. SImply put, in a 10 player game, tenth place gets one point through first place getting ten points, then at the end of the time period give your top points leader the bonus or have some kind of "top 3" or "top 5" system for the bonus money. It encourages people to play as many games as possible to avoid falling behind in points and rewards players who show up, which breeds action because the more players involved, the more possible points to gain, in addition to the larger prize pool.
Good luck.
Matt

P.S. anyone in the Central New Jersey area who rus a home cash game, preferably limit hold 'em, who wouldn't mind inviting a new player or would be interested in starting one PM me. I know it's wierd inviting someone you don't know but there is virtually NO cash game action by me and the drive to AC is a pain. Take care.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Home Poker League set-up.

wow is this just a Jersey thing?

I'm in North Jersey too...

EStreet20, nice name -- Bruce rocks
Old 11-19-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Our point system

Here is a copy of our Q&A and also our point system formula.

2004 Tournament Point Details

Q. What is the Tournament Leader Board?

A. The tournament leader board is used to determine the best and most consistent player on the tour. It rewards both good play and frequent play.

Q. Why do I care about the Leader Board?

A. First of all, it can win you money. The top finisher(s) will receive a cash award, a keepsake item like a hat or bracelet, and/or an entry into the final event. In addition, it gives you bragging rights over everyone else.

Q. How are points awarded?

A. In 2004, we will use a modified point award system. The formula will value some tournaments more than others. I borrowed the formula used by many established poker leader board systems.

Q. What contributes to the weight of a tournament?

A. The following are all part of the formula.

Is it the main event? The premier event will count for 50% more points.
How many players? The more players, the more the win is worth.
How much is the entry fee? The higher the stakes, the more the win is worth.

Q. Am I out of the running since I can’t make every event?

A. No. We will only use your 7 best point finishes towards the final ranking. This means you can take the top spot without even playing half the planned events. Of course, the more you play, the easier it will be.

Q. How many people get points each event?

A. Points will be awarded based on the formula listed above to the top 25% of a tournament's finishers (rounded up). For example, 25 entries would give points to 7 finishers.

Q. What is the exact formula?

A. The early and late game have a different factor:

Early Game Points = 3 * [sqrt(n)/sqrt(k)] * [1+log(b+0.25)]
Late Game Points = 2 * [sqrt(n)/sqrt(k)] * [1+log(b+0.25)]
n is the number of entrants
k is the place of finish (k=1 for the first-place finisher, and so on)
b is the buy-in amount in dollars

Q. Can you show an example?

A. Sure, here is a realistic example

Player Event Number Entries Entry Fee Finish Points

Brian G 1a 25 $40 1 39

Rick F 1a 25 $40 2 28

Adam M 1a 25 $40 3 23

Phil Hellmuth 1a 25 $40 4 20
Old 11-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Hi koko,

Some of these suggestions sound pretty complicated. I'm not sure how big your league will get in terms of number of players, but our league has had over 100 different people play in events and trackings stats can become a nightmare if you don't have an organized and simple system. Check out:

nwpokertour.com

and then go into the stats section. We settled on 4 factors for stats. Winnings, earnings, placement, and points. The first two are obvious but placement is basically your average finish in terms of percentile (where you have a minium number of events to qualify for the list) And then points is simply converting your % to a number between 0 and 100 for each event you play and adding it up. This rewards loyal players. So you have your 4 stats categories, and then to find the best player you simply convert the 4 categories into a single list ranking 1 thru however many you have. Take those 4 rakings and average them out to find the player with the lowest overall score. That is your strongest player. So, what do you think of the system?

-Mack
Old 11-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Keep It Simple Stupid

Geesh, what's with all the quadratic formulas? You're going to scare people away!

My point system which will be implemented starting in 2005 is extremely simple:

1. Each game you attend you earn 2 points

2. For every player in an event there are 5 points up for grabs (i.e. 10 players=50 additional points that can be won)

3. The points are doled out to the players who finish in the money. If you win 50% of the prize pool you win 50% of the points pool Nice and simple.

4. A 5% fee is deducted from all prize pools and socked away for the top five players to compete at the end of the year for (estimate of 500-1000 bucks or so up for grabs)

5. The more points you earn, the more starting chips you'll receive in the final tournament leader board competition. I'm looking at giving everyone 25 chips per point. So if you're at the top of the leader board you'll get more chips than the person in 4th place.

I think this setup will encourage people to play more often and be more competitive, trying to catch up to others on the boards and so forth.

Good luck, hope this helps!