Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 11:57 PM

Default String Bet on WPT tonight

I thought if you announced raise, that you could go back to your stack??Noli had KK and said raise, then all of a sudden the other guy was saying string bet?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: String Bet on WPT tonight

depends how much you put out doesn't it?

say you bet 10K. i raise RAISE as i put out 30K. then i go back to my stack for more. STRING BET!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 AM

Noli said raise, then presented chips to represent the raise. Can't go back to the stack after that.

Those head to head hands in that WPT episode are fascinating to watch because of the amateur brain-locks.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Noli said raise, then presented chips to represent the raise. Can't go back to the stack after that.

Those head to head hands in that WPT episode are fascinating to watch because of the amateur brain-locks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that. They were'nt "amatuer brain locks, at least in Shoten's case. They were old-school angle shots, just more legitimate. The heads up call of Noli's bluff right away was designed for Noli not to bluff too much, because then Charlie would have a hard time callling more $$$. It's a dicey move, but it DID work in a sense. The raise call when Noli had 77 I believe was the same thing, but Noli decided to run the cards, as he figured 77 to be good since he only said call, not raise, and I think Noli put him on something like a weak ace. There was another strange play that I don't remember too tho.

Shoten's been around the block MORE than a few times. The fact that they looked like amateur moves I think shows how slick they were.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:07 AM

Its funny how Shoten called for a string raise when Noli had KK, and still folded.

If he knew that his opponent had a good hand, would it be right to call? I mean its only 30k more to call with his 700k stack. If he hits his hand, then he'll probably double up!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 AM

I don't remember the hand in particular, but it seems to me maybe he was also guaging the strength of Noli's hand by how much he was GOING to raise, and decided to pass based in part on that info.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:31 PM

What was the deal with Noli's delayed reaction after winning the final hand? It looked to me like he didn't realize that he won the hand at all. He flopped an OESD with his K5, when the turn was a K, my thought was he was still focused on the draw and not the top pair. When the river was a Q, it looked like he thought he just missed his straight and I don't think he realized that his K won the pot. When the announcer read the hand out, he then started celebrating.

Anybody else think he didn't realize he won the hand? If not, what was with his reaction? Hard to believe a WPT winner would miss something like that, but they both looked pretty punchy at the end.