Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 01:04 AM

Default How many deaths because of terrorism in the US?

I was teaching in my Math for Social Sciences class a problem that involves Matrix products. The answer was a 2x2 matrix, and I asked the students if they could interpret the meaning of the numbers in the matrix. 2 of the numbers were the number of black infant deaths between 95-98 (about 34000) and the number of black infant deaths if they had the white infant mortality rate (about 13000). And I made the comment "this extra 20000 infant deaths are a real problem".
And then I tought, (but say nothing to the students), we have a war against terrorism, and we're spending millions of dollars in it; and How many deaths have been in the last 3 years in the US because of terrorism? Man, even in the last 10 years?
I just cant understand this. Maybe I should try harder.

David C
Old 11-17-2004, 02:51 AM

Default Re: How many deaths because of terrorism in the US?

[ QUOTE ]

we have a war against terrorism, and we're spending millions of dollars in it

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess would be billions not millions, anyone out there with a figure?

In my opinion the reason for this is fear. Not many people fear the black infant death rate is high, but many people fear terrorism. I'm not sure why really, but this is the way I see it.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:59 AM

Black infants dying isn't likely to hurt to many white middle class americans.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:02 AM

Thanks for pointing that out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Black infants dying isn't likely to hurt to many white middle class americans.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2004, 04:29 AM

The war on terror is an offensive. You are basically saying that we have to have millions of deaths before we can justify doing something. This is poor logic when dealing with world issues. The terrorist are worldwide and conspire with disregard for their lives to invoke terror. With the technological abilities coming under way for nuclear warfare and other explosive type dangers, the potential consequences are dyer. I'm not saying that Iraq had weopens, i'm just saying this is one of the theories behind the war on terror. If you act passive in this war, the terrorist will get support from large international islamic regimes and organizations to harbour train and expand their attack. And, to refer to your number theory, the overall consequences of terrorism cannot be calculated while its potential for harm is horrifyingly imaginable.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The terrorist are worldwide and conspire with disregard for their lives to invoke terror.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never used to think anyone actually believed this.

While I can't prove you wrong, I really find it hard to believe some think:

'You know what I really want to do, invoke worldwide terror, even if it means I might lose my life for it.'

I tend to think there is always other reasons terrorists like to invoke terror besides the simple fact that they enjoy invoking terror.

Maybe this is actually what you think too but did not explicitly state it. But if we understand these other reasons then maybe we can find a better way to avoid future terror attacks, possibly without any kind of war or threat of war. In my opinion the way America has gone about preventing future terror is definitly not optimal.

Does anyone else agree with me? Or am I a raving loony completly on his own?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:43 AM

You are not loony. You are simply trying to play poker at an expert level by trying to understand the thinking of the other side; by giving them the benefit of needing a rational thought for the moves they are making; by understanding that a raise from the other side may be a considered response to the cards dealt.

Of course some think that if the other party raises they are up against a LAG and the appropriate response is an all-in move. In the long run they go broke.

Please dont come to my poker table -- however there are many others on this forum I would welcome.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 AM

Default R U A FUGGICKING MORON?

Do you have any idea how much money people spend on the health of their families? I thought you lefties were angry because healthcare spending had been going up too fast!?!

Anyway, Asian people probably spend less on prenatal care than white people and have lower infant mortality, so maybe money ain't the solution.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:16 AM

I really like your analougy ACPlayer, and it is very comforting to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this way, thank you.

[ QUOTE ]

Please dont come to my poker table -- however there are many others on this forum I would welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't have to worry about that, for the same reasons you don't want me to play at your table I don't want you to play at mine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]