Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 AM

Default -75BB in 800 hands on Party 1/2. What now?

Yup, this was fun......
After a 100BB downswing late October, causing me to play scared, I had finally gone back to my usual playing style, slowly rebuilding my BB/100. Had it back up at 2,3 with 20.000 hands, and started considering whether I should posts my stats and ask for advice whether to move up.

Then I wanted to clear the Pokernow reload.
I have never in my life seen people play this badly. And yet still winning. Coldcalling with K8s after my UTG raise. Raising with Q3s (WTF???), chasing gutshots like their lives depended on it. And yet I kept loosing. I've lost track of just how many times my flopped 2 pair/set/TPTK gets blown away by a backdoor flush, from a hand that should've never seen the flop.
My top pairs kept running into higher pairs (I know, that happens).

My VP$IP for the session was 15,94 and upon reviewing the hands I really don't think I've played any differently, hence I don't think tilt is to blame. As it happened and I watched my Bankroll diminish I was surprsingly OK with it, As I believe I played correctly.
Basically I just feel that I got beaten with nasty bad-luck-stick.

But no, this is not just some bad beat rant. I only complain about that to my neighbours (although I'm not so sure they like it, considering it's 5AM where I'm at). And I know downswings happen. And will happen again. I'm just a bit shocked by the speed.

Anyway, I'm unsure of how to progress from here. Should I stick to 1/2, trying to rebuild my BB/100 and perhaps my confidence? Or is a winrate of 1,83/100 sufficient to move up??

My PT stats is as follows:
Hands: 20,715
VP$IP: 20.51
VP$IPSB: 36.19
Fold SB to Steal: 75
Folded BB to steal: 61.8
Att to Seal blinds: 31.82
Won$WSF%: 34.17
BB/100 hands: 1.83
Went to SD %: 39.22
Won $ at SD %: 48.13
PF Raise %: 8.68

Aggresion
Flop: 1.53
Turn: 1.57
River: 1.54
Total: 1.55

Folded to river bet: 40.56 %

If you need anything else, please let me know. All comments welcome.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:47 AM

Default Re: -75BB in 800 hands on Party 1/2. What now?

Your aggression seems low (especially on flop and turn). That immediately stands out. Otherwise, I can't say much without seeing hands you've played.

Rob
Old 11-17-2004, 12:48 AM

I'm a little drunk so take this for what it's worth -- to drunk to play but probably not drunk enough to give good advise. Abita rocks!

75 bbs is not a huge deal. It happens. This is probably normal variance.

However, your agreesion stats are no where close to high enough. A flop aggression approaching 3 is recommended by a lot of people here I think. Mine is over 4, but I'm a phuking maniac.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:54 AM

Wow your agression numbers look a lot like mine. You win a lot more money then I do though. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Your win at showdown is pretty low, perhaps you should tighten up the screws a bit pre-flop.

Brad
Old 11-17-2004, 12:55 AM

Please note I'm no expert and am just moving up to 1/2 today..ok, Aggression seems kind of low man. If I'm correct this means your not getting value on the hands you win, and you're not protecting/isolating your weaker hands. This is a major problem especially with crazy people (as you mention) playing anything.

I had the same happen when clearing my pokernow reload but came back up at the end of the session.

I would recommend improving your aggression and not worrying about it. If you believe you've played correctly, then it's just a bad beat, if your BR can take it then I'd stay at 1/2 and if you continue to lose re-assess the situation.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:58 AM

I lost something like 70 BB through my first 1000 1/2 hands, then made like 50 something back over the next 1000...it's pretty swingy. as long as you realize you want people coldcalling your raises with K8s, then I won't call the bad beat police [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

that said, get more aggressive. start posting more hands, and we'll fix you right up!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 AM

First of all: I'm fully aware that I want people to play against me like that. I know they are making wrong decisions and in the long run I will benefit from it. So I'm really not all that upset about it (but would prefer winning of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

On to the aggression issue:
I've finally learnt to bet my drawing hands on the flop when I got the suffcient callers. Furthermore, after getting a lecture (by Greg J, among others)of how good any flush is, and not just the nuts, I've started playing them more aggressively. This is just recently though, so I got a lot of passive hands to make up for, before the numbers starts moving.
If I feel I have the best hand I have no problem betting, as I want people to pay to see more cards. But when other people show aggression I back of a bit. This is due to a mixture of fearing I don't have the best hand, and not wanting to show my strength, luring them into my net. Basically, I'm too greedy and slowplay to much. What can I say, greed is in my nature. But I guess I still have a hard time deciding when to raise in order to protect my hand, and when my hand is strong enough to slow down, not scaring people of. But again hand protection is most definately on my to-improve list.
Furthermore, the free card play has only been introduced into my play just recently, as I didn't like to raise with a drawing hand, and not understanding the concept.

On turn and river, when people bet into me, I only raise when I'm certain I have the best hand. And I know it's a mistake. I know, that I should estimate what percentage of times in the current situation I will have the best hand. Basically if it's more than 50% I guess I should raise. Plus I get the added benefit of perhaps making a better hand fold. Is this way of thinking correct?

Guess it's time to re-read SSH [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My win at showdown is low?? What number should I aim at?

So the general advice is to increase my aggression, and definately not be thinking about moving up in levels until that is fixed?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and not wanting to show my strength, luring them into my net. Basically, I'm too greedy and slowplay to much. What can I say, greed is in my nature.

[/ QUOTE ]
At these limits (especially in limit), betting is often the best way to get money in a pot.

You should be betting your made hands, protecting your weak hands with strategic checkraises and raises, and raising for value with strong hands and strong draws.

Rob
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 PM

Basically, I'm too greedy and slowplay to much.

Without seeing any hands, I know this is a leak. The requirements for slowplaying a hand profitably are so stringent, they very rarely come up. In the last 10,000 hands, Iv'e probably slowplayed fewer hands than I can count on one hand. I think you lose very little if you never slowplay. Conversely, you lose a lot if you slowplay even just slightly too often. An incorrect slowplay increases the likelyhood that a marginal draw will suckout to beat you, when a raise by you would have protected your hand and won the pot.

Chuck the slowplay. Just stop doing it altogether.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I'm too greedy and slowplay to much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make more money by not slow playing, so be greedy and smart; bet out.