Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 PM

Default AQo MP vs 3-better in CO

Party 2/4 table. I hadn't played many hands with CO at this point, but his PT stats indicated that he was fairly loose and aggressive preflop and moderately aggressive post flop. BB was very loose and passive preflop and passive postflop.

I'm in MP1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to me, I raise. Folded to CO who 3-bets. Button and SB fold, BB calls. 3 to the flop.

Flop (9.5 SB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, I bet, CO raises, BB folds, I call.

<font color="blue">I thought I'd have a better chance of winning the pot if BB wasn't in it, so I bet into CO hoping he'd raise and force BB to fold (and hopefully buy myself a few extra outs if the BB had a 4 or A3/A5). Is this line of thinking okay, or is this not the right situation to try something like that? In reexamining this hand, I'm starting to think this wasn't the right place to try this because of BB's looseness/passiveness. I doubt this type of player would fold with any piece of the flop... </font>

Turn (6.75 BB): [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet, CO raises, I call.

<font color="blue">I thought I'd test the waters since I hit one of my overcards. After he raised, I figured I was beat, but I felt the need to call down. Anyone fold here? </font>

River (10.75 BB): [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, CO bets, I call.

<font color="blue">I came this far, and I can't fold now, right? </font>

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Re: AQo MP vs 3-better in CO

Flop: I'm not sure that you really want to get raised on the flop here. You really want to pay two bets to see the turn? I don't think you're buying any extra outs because BB is not folding any of the hands you mentioned. I see you sort of came to this conclusion yourself.

I wouldn't count an ace as a full out. There's a reasonable chance CO has AK, in which case the ace is bad news.

In summary, I think you're behind with little chance to make the other players fold the flop, and I would check-call.

Turn: CO could have a lot of hands that you beat--medium pairs or maybe even AK. Given this, I might be tempted to checkraise if I think he's likely to continue a bluff with AK or to bet JJ. The problem is that he may check AK, but he's aggressive, right? So he'd bet it. The problem is that if he has AA or KK you'll get 3-bet.

I would bet it and frown when I got raised.

River: Yeah, check-call. No point in betting but you shouldn't fold TPTK to an aggressive headsup player (I know the board paired).