Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 11:36 PM

Default Party 15/30 A3s SB vs raise

I'm a 15/30 newb, never played the 2/3 blind structure, so any advice is appreciated.

8 players.

Pretty loose table, not overly aggro.
mp is very loose and moderately aggressive.

CO posts a blind.
Hero is the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

utg calls.
1 fold.
mp raises.
1 fold.
CO calls.
button cold-calls.
Hero calls.

OK call? Or fishy call?

BB calls.
utg calls.

6 to the flop for 12 small bets.

** Dealing Flop ** [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Checked to mp who bets.
co raises.
button folds.
Hero ??

Is giving 1 out to my ace to liberal? 1.5 for the backdoor flush. How many for the gutshot? 3.5 or 3?

So 5 or 6 outs. Getting 7:1 I guess it's close. Any opinions?

Tks,
Benjamin
Old 11-17-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Party 15/30 A3s SB vs raise

I'm thinking this is probably a fold preflop for most tighter 15/30 players. I'm wondering though if those who are beating the game with a looser style would make that call.

On the flop I folded since I was afraid of a reraise.

B.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM

Are you kidding me? What good player folds Ax suited PF in one of the blinds in a 6-way pot?

On the flop, you're really left with a borderline call or fold. There's currently $225 in the pot by the time the action gets to you so you're getting 7.5 to 1 on your money. Most likely the BB and UTG will call or fold, but I suppose it's possible MP could three-bet it. An ace might give aces up to one of the other players so I really wouldn't consider it a clean out, but neither MP nor CO will be able to put you on the wheel if you spike a 4, so your implied odds are pretty good there. I would call the flop bet (hopefully the BB and UTG will also only call) and release on the turn if I didn't hit a 4 or a diamond.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM

1. I'd call preflop and my VP$IP is 15.79, so I don't play that many hands.

2. Three-bet the flop and hope that MP will fold a bigger ace. This, of course, depends on what you know about your opponenets, but without a read, I think that's how I'd play it.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:12 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I fold the flop for 2 bets. The likelyhood is your going to face 3 or 4 bets on this flop, and the chances of multiple bets go up if you stay in.

I'm also against 3 betting. The out of position 3 bet means you almost have to lead the turn into two players who have shown a good bit of strength.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Unfamiliar with the 2/3 blinds, it felt a little too loose calling there, but it sure seemed like I was getting plenty of odds to see the flop with the suited ace. Glad to hear that is common practice.

Wow, 3-betting it is very aggresssive there. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

B.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:45 AM

For anyone wondering, A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s equity in a 6-handed pot preflop is 19.6% - more than enough to warrant a call.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone wondering, A3's equity in a 6-handed pot preflop is 19.6% - more than enough to warrant a call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess that's against random hands? In a raised pot you will be facing bigger aces and pocket pairs more often then random. Still, with the blind discount, and with implied odds for when you hit a hand bigger than a pair, I guess it is an easy call.

Thanks again for your input, vector2.
B.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone wondering, A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s equity in a 6-handed pot preflop is 19.6% - more than enough to warrant a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

while your math is right, I think you forgot to filter for hands that raise and call 2.

Also, while your equity doesnt change, your position certainly devalues your hand, particularly one that gets much of it's value from the flush possibility.