Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 PM

Default What % of players who move up to 100 and 200 SNGs falsely do so?

Hey folks. This is a question that I think needs to be answered, for no other reason than to satisfy me.

How many of you are really beating these high level SNGs? I believe that there are a good number of you who have beat them for a period... but how many have actuallly beaten them for more than 750 tournaments. I have learned over the past few weeks that 500 tournaments isnt really enough to say much about your ROI. If you are 40% ROI through 500, then there is about a 99% chance you are a winning player, but your true long therm ROI could be less than half of that.

So I see tons of "no names" on this board who say they are beating the 100 and 200 buy ins for anywhere between 5 and 20% ROI. I want to know how many tournaments you have actually played at this level? I speculate that a lot of you have played around 100-200. I also speculate that for every 1 of you, there are about 10 others that went about 0% or slightly less for 200, but they are the same skill level as you, just didnt have as good a run.

My theory is that the 100 and 200 sngs are beatable, but really for only an elite class of player. I think there are about 15% of players that are losing a TON on these, about 80% (or higher) that are between -5% ROI and 1 or 2% ROI, and maybe 5% that are sustaining some semblance of profit over time. I don't think all these regular joes that come and post their ROIs at these levels really have much chance of doing it in the long run.

Being a succesful 20+2er, and being humble enough, I dont see why I should be able to beat a level like 200+15 with even 2 years of poker experience, unless I am really something special. Therefore I have no intention of moving up with even the next 12 months. Why do so many players think they can beat such a high level?

Id like to see the long term succesful players comment on this... you and most of the board know who you are. Of course, Id like to see what everyone else has to say too.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: What % of players who move up to 100 and 200 SNGs falsely do so?

Great post. I'm curious too.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:34 PM

You have to realize that this forum is not a random sampling of poker players. There are, of course, plenty of losing players, but this forum is full of avid poker players who want to learn and improve their game.

Bottom line, poker players who post here are going to be better than the average poker player.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to realize that this forum is not a random sampling of poker players. There are, of course, plenty of losing players, but this forum is full of avid poker players who want to learn and improve their game.

Bottom line, poker players who post here are going to be better than the average poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the biggest misconception on 2+2. You post on this board if you ever bought a Sklansky book and saw the website on it. I think 2+2 is an average make-up of poker players, with the luckier short term players more likely to be posting their results.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:38 PM

You also probably will not find many $200 players willing to post their exact stats. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised.

I wish I had 700+ SNG's at that level to talk about, but I dont. That said I've established a pretty good start playing the $200's on Empire/Party and the $500's on Pokerstars. But longevity is where its at.

Nick
Old 11-16-2004, 10:45 PM

This whole post is entirely too hilarious. You sound like you have a serious case of jealousy for people who play poker better than you.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM

I actual thought I was commenting on something pertinent to this board. I'll freely admit I can't beat the 100+9 or 200+15, or atleast I have no evidence I can do so.

Does this post really sounds like I am jealous and or angry? Sorry if it does.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:54 PM

you tried 'em, pshrek! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 11:19 PM

Six months ago, this forum was full of players that were beating the $10 and $20 SNG's with the occasional $30 guy. $200 posters were very rare, maybe limited to a handful of people.

Right now, all of those exact same people are beating the 30's and 50's for close to the same ROI they had before and half the guys beating the 50's are now posting about 200's.

Give it some time.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:40 AM

I played 400 or so 200 SNGs over the summer with a ROI in the mid, single digits (it got that way after a pretty brutal run over my last 100). Then I took a break when school started and decided to work my way up the SNG ladder once I decided to play again. I played 60 or so 30 sngs with an ROI just below 30%. Then I moved quickly to the 200s and I wont even let you know my ROI figure for my first 150 SNGs because it is not sustainable.

-Jason

P.S. I am extremely confident I am a winning 200 player at peak hours. When its morning or afternoon and there are less fish around, I am still confident I am a winning player, but definitely not as winning (duh).