Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 PM

Default What to do here?

I'm a relatively new player. Live tournament. 50 + 5. Everyone starts with 1500 chips, I have 1200. 15 players left, 7 at my table. Top 6 pay. Blinds are 50/100. I'm on small blind and get dealt JJ. UTG folds. UTG + 1 has ~900 chips and calls. UTG + 2 folds. UTG + 3 has ~1800 chips and raises to 300. Button folds. I reraised to 900 chips (I know you're gonna grill me already on this). BB has ~1300 chips and reraises again all in. UTG + 1 folds. UTG + 3 folds. What do you do? I figured there is no way I'm ahead here but if I fold now I'm down to 400 chips and basically fodder for the rest of the players at that point. Fold it and hope to double up a few times? Call it and pray for a jack? After I get a few responses I'll tell you what happened.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: What to do here?

The pot's too big to fold. You're getting good odds. Besides that, folding leaves you crippled with almost no shot at sneaking into the money.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:52 PM

I would agree. The pot odds are too good to give up and besides the BB might just be trying to out aggress everyone close to the money thinking many tighten up at this point. Call and hope he only has AK. BTW since you started with 1200 wouldn't you only be left with 300? $300 at this point and you probably won't even make bottom money. If the blinds go up you will be blinded out next round. Why wait for 2 random cards with no money when you have JJ now with a huge pot. You may think your read on this guy is solid but be careful here since this is the point where many people shift gears, short tabled and near the money.

I think the more interesting question would be at the point of your reraise to 900. Instead of reraising only 900 and also because of my point before, knowing you will be all in. Make the all in move first. Maybe at this point that takes out an over aggressive play on the bb since you can't bluff an all-in player. Also aggressive play near the payout is good strategy. You can often steel from players tightening up and you need to have fuel to get to the top. Don't worry about bottom money. The best EV+ is at the top since the deltas are so great.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:57 PM

First of all, without having a specific read on the player, you're not definitely behind here. He could have anything from 99 and higher, AK, AQ. Against that range of hands you're actually a very slight favorite.

But, you needed to push here. Frankly, it was a big mistake to raise to T900 when you're stack is only T1200. I might do this with AA to try and entice a caller. But what you want is for him to fold and the only way you're going to get him to do so is by pushing all your chips to tell him you've got a big hand and you're willing to risk it all. This, of course, takes the decision of calling his re-raise all-in out of the equation. In this situation, you have to call. But you should have been the one pushing instead.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 AM

I did just as you guys suggested. I called it. BB turned over 10 10. I put myself in really great shape and came in the money mostly because of this one hand. Funny part is that the original raiser (UTG + 3) had A9 suited and would have hit his flush. Got a little lucky that BB pushed and scared him out.

Yes, that was a typo. Should have been 300 chips left.

The reason I only went to T900 instead of pushing is because UTG is a really good player. He plays a lot and wins a lot. I thought he'd be concerned with a 3x raise instead of a flat push. He would consider a push an attempt to scare him out and would call. Even though 900 was a smaller bet I thought it had a better chance to make him fold. Like I said I am relatively new player. I was trying to make a play based on the prior experience I've had with him. You think that was poor play?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 PM

I like it. Against a thinking opponent, give 'em something to think about. You're telling him, "I have a strong enough hand that I'm not afraid of callers"

It's kind of like bidding in bridge, only not as precise. And, you're trying to mislead your opponent as to the strength of your hand, not describe it accurately. Regarless of the exactitude of the analogy, it's still a language that an experienced opponent will understand.

Next time you play against that guy, though, keep in mind that he will remember that play.

Regards,

Gar Pike
Old 11-17-2004, 12:52 PM

I think the fact that you deduced that the 3x raise would work better than an all-in based on your previous observations and play with the guy makes this an EXCELLENT play. Showing confidence in the accuracy of your reads makes you a better poker player.