Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Why did NBC release this footage?

Iraqi insrugent getting shot

Clearly the Marine was justified in his actions here. What I don't understand is why NBC was allowed to videotape the footage in the first place. I also don't understand why NBC released the footage as it is obvious that it will do nothing more than aggravate the situation and cause more bloodshed on both sides of the conflict.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:57 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default Re: Why did NBC release this footage?

NBC doesn't care about American lives and our soldiers, they care about their agenda and making money.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NBC doesn't care about American lives and our soldiers, they care about their agenda and making money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace NBC with "the GWB administration" as well.

D.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iraqi insrugent getting shot

Clearly the Marine was justified in his actions here. What I don't understand is why NBC was allowed to videotape the footage in the first place. I also don't understand why NBC released the footage as it is obvious that it will do nothing more than aggravate the situation and cause more bloodshed on both sides of the conflict.

[/ QUOTE ]

The insurgent who was shot had been discovered by American troops the prior day and laft ther; he received another bullet before being discovered again. Then this soldier comes upon him (probably not aware of the prior incidents, and shot the twice-wounded, unarmed man.

The news reporter was doing his routine job to be filming at the time.

Why shouldn't the news organization release the tape? What does America have to hide? Were any strategic interests compromized by the release? Wouldn't the military have prior rights to censor the film? What would the fallout be of restricting access to such news?

I think that the film needs to be released; I hope that the incident was a horrible aberration, and not par for the course....
Old 11-16-2004, 11:18 PM

so people shouldnt understand the consequences that are created by war, justified or not? We should regulate all media access to all situations that the public might find disagreable but are being done in our name?

peace

john nickle
Old 11-16-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Heh, you beat me to it, David.

I like Ralph Nader's observation: "[Bush]'s just a big corporation disguised as a human being."
Old 11-17-2004, 12:12 AM

Default US Media Keeps Showing Their True Colors

Lets see:
1. US soldiers get killed by fake surrender ambushes...
2. US soldiers get killed by booby trapped dead bodies...
3. US soldiers get killed by insurgents pretending to be dead...
4. US soldiers get killed by insurgents using Mosques and hospitals as sniper positions...

And people are surprised that the marines are a little trigger happy? The soldiers that were not trigger happy have their own flag draped coffins.....

As for the media....The media spends one day on the stories showing the brutality of the insurgents...BUT stories which makes the US military look less than perfect get WEEKS of coverage.

I heard the COMPLETE audio of the shooting incident and what I heard was a Marine shoot what he thought was a bushwhacking insurgent..... He was wrong this time.... My advice to the US soldiers in these situation is: When in doubt....SHOOT!!!

Now do you understand why Fox News
and the internet are gaining credibiity while ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN are losing credibility?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:28 AM

I heard this same argument when Morley Safer asked the GI in Vietnam, while he was setting fire to a hut, why he was doing it. (The answer, by the way, was that in order to save the village, it became necessary to destroy it.) It is not the showing of the film which creates more bloodshed, it's the bloodshed.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Heh, you beat me to it, David.

[ QUOTE ]
I like Ralph Nader's observation: "[Bush]'s just a big corporation disguised as a human being."

[/ QUOTE ]

So very right....and obvious, so obvious that I remain absolutely shocked that more dont see it.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 AM

Because it's their job. They're not supposed to cover for anyone, they're supposed to break stories, and this is a good one to break.

Re to Felix: Are they really paying that much attention to this story? I think you happen to be overreacting a bit... And yeah, US soldiers are held to a much higher standard than the insurgents.