Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 AM

Default Fold KK on the flop?

This hand occured in a pretty good late night $2/4 limit HE game on Party.

Hero is UTG+1 and holding KK. UTG folds, Hero raises, folded around to BB (LAG PF but doesn't play well post flop) who 3 bets, Hero caps.

On a side note this exact play occurred about 5 rounds earlier with same two players in same two positions and it was found that BB 3 bet with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Anyways, flop comes down A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
BB bets out, and Hero (doesn't have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) raises.

My question here is whether or not a raise is correct? My thinking was that I could get JJ, TT, or a hand like KQ or possibly JQ to fold.

To further the play along BB 3 bets it and Hero calls. Turn was a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], completing the flush draw. BB bet out again and Hero folds.

I don't much like how I played the hand in total. Any thoughts on how I could have played it better on any of the streets?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Fold KK on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
My question here is whether or not a raise is correct? My thinking was that I could get JJ, TT, or a hand like KQ or possibly JQ to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't review your hand very carefully yet, so i wont' comment on whether or not to raise or fold here, but given that you did raise, i really hope it's not for this reason. why would you want these hands to fold?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:19 AM

I want those hands to fold mainly out of fear that they may contain a spade, and my spadeless hand is very vulnerable. As a side note that is not the only reason I raised, but it was one.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want those hands to fold mainly out of fear that they may contain a spade, and my spadeless hand is very vulnerable. As a side note that is not the only reason I raised, but it was one.

[/ QUOTE ]

But any other hand is just as likely to contain a spade. And with the pairs, you know he's got only 1, and it's silly to fear runner-runner spades coming.

gm
Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 AM

OK granted that my raising out small hands is a mistake here. I also dbout that this person would fold any ace in this situation.

So would you say it is better to check/call all the way and see a showdown for the cost of one more big bet? I even considered folding on the flop due to the fact that there were so many ways he could have hit it, but that just seemed entierly too weak to me.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 AM

Just call down.

You don't want KQ, JJ, or TT to fold, spades or not. You're heads-up. If you're vulnerable, you remain vulnerable to your sole opponent who is likely not going anywhere. Let him keep betting and bet if he checks.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:37 AM

Raise for a cheaper showdown. Fold when he bites back.

I raise then bet the turn check the river.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LAG PF but doesn't play well post flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't play well in what respect? This is the key to the whole hand. What hands would he bet instead of checkcalling, checkraising, or slowplaying?

The normal way to play this hand is to call him down and see if he actually has an ace or QQ. Raising at any point is just putting extra money into a bad situation because he will never fold a better hand. Raising can only be helpful if you have a very good idea of how he will react with different hands.

Another sound idea against many players is to fold the flop.

You need to decide what range of hands you think he might have to 3-bet preflop and then bet the flop into a cap. Call him down if you win often enough to show a profit.