Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 11:52 PM

Default limit progression

I have played regularly now for 2+ years mainly online and in tourneys and am at the stage where I consistently win more than I lose. I also play in ring games...I started at 50c/$1 then moved up to $1/$2 where I began to consistently win. Feeling confident I moved up to the $2/$4 game and managed to lose approx $200 in about 10 hours of play (3 sittings). The two previous times I made a jump I also took a bit of adjusting time but not that much or with that sort of loss. The main thing I noticed was that the players actually seemed looser than at the lower levels (pacific 70% ave seeing flop) and as a result were around to catch draws regularly. Obviously the tourney ability to raise heavily when strong to prevent this is a factor but I was surprised how often people were willing to call with very little on, and pre flop.(I should also note that despite some of this obviously being game adjustment/leaks I also went through "one of those spells".Not making excuses...this probably only accounted for 25% of the total losses but its worth pointing out.)
Now, obviously one answer to the "what do I do about this?" question is stick to what youre winning but the master-plan was always to start low, win, and then use the bankroll to move up a level, start winning and so-on until I was playing "proper" poker ($15/$30 &$20/$40 limit). My results/returns ($1750 from initial $100 18 months ago) indicate that I am a pretty good player and I dont really want to abandon my larger strategy but I need to try and workout a way to navigate my way past this stumbling block.
Having read some other posts I am tempted to move directly past the $2/$4 game to the $3/$6 or even higher on the basis that the sums involved should make the play go a bit more like it should. My worry is obviously that if thats not the case then my adjustment losses could cripple my bankroll and force me back down the limits.
What do other 2+2ers think? is my rationale for limit skipping sound or would I be likely walking into a disaster? What other suggestions do people have for navigating my way profitably up the levels?
All thoughts appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: limit progression

mrwhippy,

I would say definitely do NOT attempt to skip a level. I don't know what your win rate has been per hour or per 100 hands or whatever, but it seems like you are barely beating the games you were playing in. In 18 months you made $1650. I can make that in a good week, and some 2+2ers can make that on a good day. I wouldn't even consider moving up until you are killing the games you are playing in. Personally, I waited a little too long to move up, and made sure I was dominating my tables before I even considered it.
Making $1650 in a year and a half could mean you are a winning player, but not by much. I don't know how many hands you play or what type of hours, so that could make a difference if you were only playing like a couple hours a week, but don't skip a level. I would read the thread about the guy who just lost his whole bankroll because he tried to play above his limits. Not trying to discourage you from moving up at all, because I think you should set your sights on moving up. I just wouldn't want you to be at a level higher than you could beat.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:18 AM

Read "losing my roll" by bullchip in this section. That was the thread I was referring to. Have you considered multi-tabling to increase your hourly rate, and at the same time be seeing a lot more hands to inable you to improve faster than you would if you were only playing one table?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:14 AM

Your post shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the realities of poker. Your "sample size" (10 hours?) is incredibly small, and no useful conclusions can be drawn from it, other than the fact that you are extremely fixated on short-term results.

Losing $200, or 50 BBs at $2/4, is absolutely meaningless. It shouldn't even be on your radar. If you're sufficiently bankrolled, 50 BB swings don't matter very much.

Your post also has a bit of the "I can't beat loose game" sentiment, which is total BS. If you can't beat $2/4, you can't beat $3/6, or $5/10, or $10/20...

Someone that can't beat $2/4 would get eaten alive at higher limits.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:18 AM

What I dont understand is:
50c/$1=regular wins
$1/$2=regular wins
Tourneys=regular wins
$2/$4=royal arse kicking
what is that main difference which is highlighting leaks which dont even show significantly elsewhere?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:32 AM

I noticed you posted this in a ton of forums. You are going to get the same answers in each forum. You don't have an adequate sample size at 2/4, and it doesn't seem like you were winning much playing 1/2. Do you have some stats from 1/2? Number of hands, bb/100, etc... You can't expect to win at 2/4 if you are barely getting a profit at 1/2. Just trying to be honest with you.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:59 AM

Default Re: limit progression(for Snowbank)

Didnt know where it really fit which is why I multi-posted it....also wasnt prepared to spend that long typing and risk getting bumped straight away with no answer. Thanks for the advice anyhow. It was a simple question really....thanks for giving it a simple answer.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:02 AM

Default Re: limit progression(for Snowbank)

Glad I could help.