Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Trust to the read

Early in the Civil War Brigidier Grant was ordered to move his brigade and oust the rebels in a town. He was terrified. He moved in, and when he got there he found they had skidadled. He realized that while he was afraid of them, that they, of course, were afraid of him. This battle that never was was actually one of the most important, since it put Grant in the proper mind set for his future battles: he was willing to fight.

Have been toying with NL for a while and feel I've finally broken into it, primarily due to two big wins lately. Two major obsicles come to mind: conquer of fear and trust to my reads. And the two seem to be related: if I am confident of my read I'll be able to bet or raise semi-bluff with confidence, which increases the chances of it working.

This emotional/mental state stuff is much more important than the "how to play a hand" stuff.

- Louie
Old 11-16-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Trust to the read

If by "this emotional/mental state stuff" you mean "being in position" then I completely agree with you.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:04 AM

Do you play online or live? Online, you have fewer opportunities to make a read, and so lines and technique become more important.

I'm thinking you play live, because "confidence" has little effect on the success of a bet or semi-bluff online; no one can tell you are confident except by gauging the size of your bet.

A lot of these posts are from online games.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:05 AM

No. I mean being ready to play. Back to the Civil War, McClellan wasn't "ready to play" and neither were many of the other early eastern Union generals. They had a bigger better supplied army but couldn't win.

- Louie
Old 11-17-2004, 03:39 PM

all and i do mean all of the no limit players that do very well are not afraid of sticking their money in whenever they think they should. that is a fact of winning at no limit.
when to do this is another matter. you must use your read, and use the pot size and future pot size to figure out the correct play at that time. at no time can you let the money make you dog it, or you are giving up the small edge that poker affords you.
no limit is like limit in that when you lose a pot, buy in again for the next.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:15 PM

Good sotry louis
Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 PM

yes very good post. There are many players out there who will never make it playing no limit simple because they arent willing to gamble.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:59 PM

arent willing to gamble or arent willing to play aggressively or place trust in themselves when appropriate?

guess its maybe the same thing? ;-)

i think it was johnny chan who said there was basically no gamble in NL for him. get good enough and its not gambling anymore...
Old 11-17-2004, 07:38 PM

I gotta be honest here. This is an awesome and very true post.

When I first started playing live no-limit, I was scared as hell of putting all my chips in. I felt like knew when I was "supposed" to do it, but I just couldn't really throw them in.

It takes a lot of work before you're just willing to push those chips in.

Now, I call that "scared money."

It takes time, and really, a few nasty beats before you get stronger, and more willing to do it when you know you're ahead...

But that's the name of the game. That's why NL is (IMO) a much better game than Limit. It tests your mettle, and forces you to make those tough decisions. I mean, it's easy to call for your flush draw on the flop with 7.5 BB in the pot. Now try putting in all your chips for it, after you've made your flush, and you know the other guy has 10 outs on the turn. It's >3/4 to win... you know that... but that 1 time you lose... it stings something awful.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]