Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Moving Too Slowly?

I started holdem online in mid August with $2 donated by the site I play on (Paradise). I read HEFAP and SSH and am nearly done with TOP. From mid August through mid September, I experimented a lot, taking myself up to about $13, and then down to 88 cents on the .02/.04 tables. I was about to give up, but then I really started applying what I had learned from SSH, playing extremely tightly for a couple of weeks until I got back to about $5. Then, I loosened up and followed the charts and started applying pot odds, etc. and right now I'm sitting at about $38. I play about 3 hours a day. I figure I've played "correctly" (as correctly as a begginer can) for about 180 hours and have made about $37, which is about 5 big bets an hour. My downswings have not been significant, except for one time, where I dropped about 75 big bets before it turned back up.

Question: Based on this small amount of playing time, any opinions on whether I should move up to .05/.10 (or higher)? I tend to move very slowly and persistently. Am I being too cautious?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Moving Too Slowly?

The limits between where you are at and .5/1 play just about the same, believe it or not. It depends on the site you play at, but not to a great degree. So long as you have 300 BBs, you can play higher.

If you have about $37, then I suggest playing at the .05/.10 limit, until you reach $60. Move up to .10/.20 at that point. Pacific has the limits you are looking for.

Good luck building your roll, and make sure to start taking advantage of bonus deals, which can help build a small roll much more quickly than playing alone. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Clarification question:
By BBs do you mean big blinds, or big bets?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:06 PM

Big bets, as this player was referring to a limit game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 04:39 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Nice job, yes it's time to move up to the nickel/dime game. It takes a while but building a bankroll is the best way to learn poker. If you want to see others who have done it before you do a search under the user "bernie". He started on a .01/.02 game at UB. This year he's banking 100K+.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 AM

building a bankroll
Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 AM

Move on up.

As stated above. The difference in play should be almost nothing. Set an amount at which you'll move back down if you hit it - maybe $20 or $25 dollars. But I doubt that will happen.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:58 PM

Hey Reef, thanks a bunch! Had no idea!
Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 PM

I did the search. He has a mountain of posts. I couldn't locate the one you were speaking about, apparently. Rats!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 AM

I would argue that you are good enought for Party 0.5/1 easily. Give up the silly limits. Invest $100 dollars if you can afford it, do some bonus whoring, start building a decent bankroll.

You are wasting your time at those limits.