Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Is there a equal chance of each player winning?

I may not be asking this correctly so please dont flame. I do not have anywhere near the understanding of alot of the theroretical concepts that I read you guys post here. What I am wondering about is whether or not there exists a "solution" for each player in a MTT to win the tournament with the cards they receive assuming everyone played equally. Or is there truth to when people say "they just didnt get the cards?" Again, I may not be asking this but I am trying.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Is there a equal chance of each player winning?

What I am wondering about is whether or not there exists a "solution" for each player in a MTT to win the tournament with the cards they receive assuming everyone played equally.

No. Obviously you can construct a trivial case to refute that theory. 2 player tournament, one player is always dealt AA the other always 72. Flop is always AAK.

Or is there truth to when people say "they just didnt get the cards?"

Sometimes truth and sometimes an excuse.

Lost Wages
Old 11-15-2004, 02:15 PM

There is always the element of random chance in poker. What I have found is everyone will get the best hand from time to time in any tournament. The problem is a lot of times those best hands are not hands you are going to enter into the fray with. How many times have you folded your 86o to see a flop of 886?. How many times have you played tight and aggressive, get AA, flop a set only to see it shot down by a rivered flush?

It happens, the pros make great moves at the right time and use betting to win pots. But I have seen brilliant moves destroyed by the random nature of the cards. I guess it comes down to a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. Like all things, you put yourself in the best possible position to win.

Of course with the random nature of the cards, you may not get cards that put you in a postion to win and may have to rely on the random element now and then. That is why it is gambling.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:19 PM

Well, I guess I wasn't thinking in terms of such a simple example and maybe this was incorrect on my part. However, I was still assuming the random nature of the cards. Now, it may be that the randomness in itself is the reason my original question still would be answered no but I was trying to ask my question a little different.

Also, to what extent does a person's ability control the outcome. I realize there is a simplistic answer to this too in the case that a person with zero ability that wildly goes all in with 7-2 would lose faster then even a person of most modest ability. Here, I am again not thinking in term's of a extreme simplifcation of this. Rather, I want to know just how much the person's ability affects the final outcome in a large MTT. I mean could a person with an ability level of 5 out of 10 achieve 500th place and a person with ability of 10 out 10 win with the same cards?

Lastly, are you aware of any research where people of different abilities play the same hands in seperate experiments to see how different the outcome is?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, are you aware of any research where people of different abilities play the same hands in seperate experiments to see how different the outcome is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think not since the resulting data would have little real world application.