Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Phil Ivey, PP $215ers, and \"some of the best SNG players in the world\"

in reading an article on Phil Ivey on Cardplayer.com, his thinking on what makes a player "one of the best" is along the lines of how i think. yes, he does believe the best players make the most money; however, he also makes that money playing AGAINST some of the best players in the World on a regular basis. my personal opinion on the $215ers on PP who are consistent winners is that they are the best SNG players on Party Poker. from the posts i've read, it's a combination of skill, mathematics, mastery of the quick blind structure, and table selection (avoiding too many other good players...hmmmm).

so i ask again, how does this make them some of the "best in the world?" if you can't gauge how you stand up against the best SNG players on a regular basis (not just Party's structure), then how do you consider yourself the best? a key thing that Phil I discusses about play at the higher limits is the "Psychology" involved and the ability of the players to adjust to anything you do. with that in mind, what kind of real "Psychology" is being employed knowing that you're specifically playing this table because the players are'nt as good as you and that you'll make money off them? how much is your "mental" being tested if you're consistently moneying over subpar players? i always felt a player i would consider one of the best is a player who could "adjust instantly to and play against ANY player: loose, tight, fast, aggressive, mathematical, methodical, passive, crazy, solid, whatever....AND WIN!".
Old 11-12-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Phil Ivey, PP $215ers, and \"some of the best SNG players in the world\"

Your missing the key fact that when talking about the best SNG players in the world you narrow the field to basically people who play on Party Poker. This is because this is one of the ONLY places in the world that routinly spread higher limit SNGs. No place live does this, and as far as I know no other site online does.

When high level SNG players only exist on party it isn't a stretch to say that the best SNG players are also on party.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Phil Ivey, PP $215ers, and \"some of the best SNG players in the world\"

[ QUOTE ]
Your missing the key fact that when talking about the best SNG players in the world you narrow the field to basically people who play on Party Poker. This is because this is one of the ONLY places in the world that routinly spread higher limit SNGs. No place live does this, and as far as I know no other site online does.

When high level SNG players only exist on party it isn't a stretch to say that the best SNG players are also on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

they don't only exist on Party, PokerStars spreads them too. the highest they spread one table is $500 + $30 with two good players playing HU now, TheWombat and t soprano. the highest the spread HU is $5000 + $100.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 PM

These games don't run very often. Well, not nearly as often as party's highest buy-ins run.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:45 PM

A HU SNG is also very different then a normal SNG.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Phil Ivey, PP $215ers, and \"some of the best SNG players in the wo

[ QUOTE ]
i always felt a player i would consider one of the best is a player who could "adjust instantly to and play against ANY player: loose, tight, fast, aggressive, mathematical, methodical, passive, crazy, solid, whatever....AND WIN!".

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that because of the fast blind structure the blinds become quite high quite fast. This leads to all-in fests where skill is not a determining factor.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Phil Ivey, PP $215ers, and \"some of the best SNG players in the wo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i always felt a player i would consider one of the best is a player who could "adjust instantly to and play against ANY player: loose, tight, fast, aggressive, mathematical, methodical, passive, crazy, solid, whatever....AND WIN!".

[/ QUOTE ]

which is another reason i question the notion "some of the best SNG players in the World". maybe that's a major reason why more players choose to play SNGs on Party instead of PStars and that's why the higher limit ones run so much more often.

The problem is that because of the fast blind structure the blinds become quite high quite fast. This leads to all-in fests where skill is not a determining factor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-12-2004, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A HU SNG is also very different then a normal SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

the $500 + $30 SNG i was referring to is a one table SNG with 9 players. when i spoke of TheWombat and t soprano playing HU, they were down to two playing for 1st and 2nd. TheWombat won.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These games don't run very often. Well, not nearly as often as party's highest buy-ins run.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not because they don't have the players to fill them. maybe the best players on Stars don't feel their +EV or +$ to play. i've seen quite a few good tournament players like Purr Of Aces, Scarface1, teecoy, JohnnyBax, and gank play the $109s to the $530s from time to time. who knows why they don't play them more. maybe it has something to do more with skill vs. skill instead crapshoot.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not because they don't have the players to fill them. maybe the best players on Stars don't feel their +EV or +$ to play. i've seen quite a few good tournament players like Purr Of Aces, Scarface1, teecoy, JohnnyBax, and gank play the $109s to the $530s from time to time. who knows why they don't play them more. maybe it has something to do more with skill vs. skill instead crapshoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If these guys are so good, and they want to prove themselves the best, why are they not constantly playing each other?