Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Beginner\'s luck, potential or none of the above?

I should give some background poker-playing info before getting into the cold stats. I'm 17 and I started playing NL HE tournaments with my friends like everyone else around last April. I gradually got better and now I'm a solid TAG, top player in my group, and my group is probably the best game among people in my HS. By now, it takes a bad beat or extremely cold cards to keep me from placing. So, naturally, I was looking for some other action online. I had played some play money SNG tournaments on pokerroom out of boredom basically, but then I thought about putting some cash onto some micro-limit and trying to win there. I read SSHE, had my brother put 20 bucks online(very weak and vulnerable bankroll), and I played with his money in .25-.5 limits on PR. Well, I started playing last Saturday on November 6th online while trying to apply all the teachings of SSHE. So far, after 6 days and 14 hours of play, I've gone from 20 to 75 dollars. I've only had one losing day and a few losing sessions, but I'm feeling really good about my play and the poor play of the rest of the players online. I don't think I've gotten extremely hot cards, either. I'm trying to be well-read and a studious player, and have had some solid results. What can I expect in the future?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Beginner\'s luck, potential or none of the above?

"after 6 days and 14 hours of play"

This is much too small a sample size. Come back with your stats after 2 months and then we'll get a much better estimate. By the way, stay at micro limits until you have sufficient bankroll to move up- typically 300 BB
Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 PM

I make it a general rule of thumb not to encourage or give advice to teenagers where it concerns gambling.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:40 AM

Chances are you are running well right now. There is also a good chance you are a winning player. Even winning players have downswings sometimes though. Just so you know, your first one can be psychologically crushing, and your BR is not big enough to handle a big downswing right now. Paradise has games that are probably much softer and more suited to your current bankroll. I don't wanna be a nazi about this, but proper bankroll management is part of being a winner. (The conventional wisdom cited in twoplustwo is that 300 big bets is an acceptable bankroll.)

You should post some (and lurk) on the micro forum (I'm a regular there). You sound serious, and we are more than happy to help anyone that takes the game seriously. With the proper commitment you can do well. You may or may not be a winning player right now, but you do seem to be on your way.

Best of luck to you -- hope to see you on the micro forum soon!