Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Stupidest poker strategy/statements ever heard...

Most of us can agree that you learn this game primarily at the tables. Sometimes, we are lucky enough to find a knowledgeable player who will "mentor" us about our games and what to do in certain situations. However, for every poker Buddha one might encounter, it seems as though there are at least three yahoos who make outrageous claims regarding probability, starting hand requirements, and general poker theory.

So, I would like to hear from everyone about the funniest/stupidest bits of strategy you've ever heard at a poker table.

One of mine are the people who refuse to play AK. AK is not as good a hand as some seem to think, but it's not so bad as to be folded preflop no matter the situation. Yet, I have run into people who swear up and down that they fold it preflop. One guy even told me that he believes KQ to be a better hand than AK.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Stupidest poker strategy/statements ever heard...

[ QUOTE ]
AK is not as good a hand as some seem to think,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is as good as I think it is.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:43 PM

Heard it last night at Grand Victoria, Rising sun, In. Super nice old guy on my right, we were talking about flush draws and He said,"I see the flop with any two suited cards because you can flop three of them or two of them pretty often." Not an exact quote but as close as my memory allows.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:37 PM

unless, of course, it's not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 02:04 PM

Here's one my Buddha told me: "You can play Ace-Rag and fold it if you miss the flop because you can win so often with top pair."

Not exactly stupid, but it's often wise to question your teacher. I also see a lot of people play any two suited cards, and any two connected cards - even among people who outplay me. Of course the point is that you only play high suited cards because you might need to win with top pair...
Old 11-12-2004, 02:06 PM

This is way too easy. A few of us should pool our stories and have 2+2 publish the "Moron's Guide to Poker." Let's see...just from recent games...

"I always play Q-2. It's a sure winner every time."
"KK never works for me. I should have folded it there but I wasn't sure he had the flush." The board held four spades, neither king was a spade, all he had was the KK, and the other player got two raises on the river.
"My limit is three rebuys. You dont want the others to know you're having a bad run" A regular at one of my cardrooms, on his fifth rebuy of the night, the third that hour.
"If I'm going to play 7-2 offsuit, I come out raising.I would never fold it if I have position."
Asked of me,"Why do you continue to plays those crap hands so agressively? We're going to catch on, you know." After I raised pre-flop, on the button, with KQ suited.
Father to son, who is just learning the game, "Dont ever throw away a hand with a Jack in it. Jacks are the most powerful cards you can hold."
One of my favorites...
"Damn, I missed that flush on board completely. That's like the fifth consecutive hand I played to the river and misread the board. Honey...bring me another beer."
Old 11-12-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One guy even told me that he believes KQ to be a better hand than AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy who thinks KQ is better than AK. In fact during the game he went on and on about how KQ is better than AK, he was short-stacked and went all-in with AK. Of course the big stack in the big blind called him with KQ. Naturally, a Q came on the flop, and he was knocked out by KQ.

I thought I'd have no better chance than the moment to propose him a challenge, where we'd play 100 hands for $10 a pop--I'd take AK and he could have KQ every hand. I even said I would let him be suited against my AKo. He actually thought about it seriously for a moment, then declined.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:10 PM

why do you raise preflop? you haven't had a chance to make a hand yet
Old 11-12-2004, 03:21 PM

There's already a thread in the B&M Cardroom forum on this: What are you favorite lines spoken at the table?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:51 PM

My favorite was in B+M, waiting on the rails 3 hours to get through the 134 people on the wait list. I heard the guy next to me say, "Sometimes I fold if like, there's been like a raise and then a re-raise." Key emphasis on the word, "sometimes."