Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 07:59 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default Suha to receive $22 million a year from Palestinian Authority

Report: Suha to receive $ 22m. a year from PA

Yasser Arafat's widow, Suha, is expected to receive a sum of $22 million a year out of the Palestinian Authority budget, according to the Italian newspaper Corriere De La Serra.

The paper said Suha reached an agreement about the money during a meeting with Mahmoud Abbas, the PLO's newly elected chairman, who visited while she was staying next to her husband's bed in the French military hospital outside Paris.

It said Abbas personally promised Suha that she would receive $22 million a year to cover her expenses in Paris. The paper noted that in July Arafat transferred to his wife $11 million to cover her living costs for the first six months of the year.

Abbas and the Palestinian leadership were forced to strike the deal with Suha after she refused to allow them to visit her husband in hospital.

The Palestinian leaders reached the conclusion that it would be better to make a deal with her in order to solve the crisis surrounding Arafat's possessions and secret bank accounts.

According to Palestinian officials, the money that Suha is expected to receive will come from secret accounts held by Arafat and his cronies in various countries. They estimated that at least $4 billion were being held in these secret accounts.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Suha to receive $22 million a year from Palestinian Authority

[ QUOTE ]
They estimated that at least $4 billion were being held in these secret accounts.

[/ QUOTE ] This figure should be spread out amongst Palestinians. Then they could see what it was exactly their "leader" was fighting four. Simply dispicable.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:14 PM

Oooo come on ThaSaltCracka, Suha and Arafat can't be all that bad. After all, the French seem to like them.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 PM

22 mill a year for living expenses?

That is so absurd, I hope it's not true.

People like her should be taken behind a bldg and dealt with....

I suspect she won't last long, money corrupts.... she's a prime example.

>TW<
Old 11-11-2004, 10:01 PM

Sadly, that money would make a huge difference in that community and probably go along way to healing some of the anger.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:20 AM

She blackmailed them into paying her off, just to let them visit Arafat. This is par for the course in the Arab world.

It's a world where the people are instilled the values of power, Allah, and wealth. How do I know? I've travelled in Egypt and Jordan. Obviously not everyone is reaching in your pocket, but the tour guide, taxi driver, and customs officer all came up with ploys to fool naive tourists, namely us. Thankfully I had friends who spoke Arabic so we sidestepped a few pitfalls.

The things we refer to as honesty and decency are not universally accepted values there. Here either, but we're shocked when we hear about it. There, this Suha incident is just another day.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:34 AM

Just goes to show the corruption that exists and who's funding the PLO i.e. who's got the big bucks.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:15 PM

"It's a world where the people are instilled the values of power, Allah, and wealth. How do I know? I've travelled in Egypt and Jordan. Obviously not everyone is reaching in your pocket, but the tour guide, taxi driver, and customs officer all came up with ploys to fool naive tourists"

I've traveled all over the world: the tour guides, taxi drivers, and customs officers come up with ploys to fool naive tourists in China, in Mexico, in Italy, and in Chicago too.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've traveled all over the world: the tour guides, taxi drivers, and customs officers come up with ploys to fool naive tourists in China, in Mexico, in Italy, and in Chicago too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove a cab when I was in college, and I resemble that remark.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yasser Arafat's widow, Suha, is expected to receive a sum of $22 million a year

[/ QUOTE ]

For that kind of money, she better be a pretty good 3-point shooter.

[ QUOTE ]
According to Palestinian officials, the money that Suha is expected to receive will come from secret accounts held by Arafat and his cronies in various countries. They estimated that at least $4 billion were being held in these secret accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see how long Mama keeps getting that money after the PLO gets its hands on the secret accounts.