Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Ducks are good? Good aggro betting or pissing $$s away?

Party 2/4 - Table is aggro pre-flop, tight weak post
Hero is button with pocket 2s

4 calls to hero who limps. SB raises, BB reraises, ALL call to hero, hero calls (and readies to match cap, holding his stomach in disgust and thinking what the f am I doing) SB caps, all call. Seven players, 28 SB.

Flop 3,4,6 rainbow. ALL check to Hero

Hero...bets. 4 callers, no check raise. 15.5 BBs, 5 to turn

Turn 7 (put flush draw out, but not mine)

All check to Hero again! Hero, seeing his weak gut strght draw gone, thinks who the f#$K is trapping me...swallows and bets, ready to fold to a check raise.

SB calls, all others fold! 17.5BB to river, 2 players.

River : 4 (not 3 flush)

BB checks, Hero says, well, try to win it and bets, thinking he might fold and overpair to the dueces...

So, are the ducks good? Does SB fold? Was Hero playing good aggro poker or pissing away money? Results not-withstanding, comments on all streets welcome and appreciated!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Ducks are good? Good aggro betting or pissing $$s away?

Bump: Very curious on this one
Old 11-10-2004, 05:00 PM

I would've folded after two raises and an expected cap to come....
Old 11-10-2004, 05:02 PM

I'm a newb but I like your aggressive play against the preflop raisers. It sounds like they all had overcards and gave up in succession. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2004, 05:07 PM

If I hit my set and it holds up even 60% of time, I have pot odds to call 3 bets (28/3) even if I don't take into account implied odds...I don't see folding this pair at all with so many callers...but hey maybe I am missing something? What are the chance that 3 ducks hold up against 6 hands post flop???
Old 11-10-2004, 05:12 PM

I dunno. Between 7 people, you are often a loser here. If a 5 comes, is it good? If a 2 comes, is that good? What are you drawing to? What are you hoping to see on the turn?

If you are ahead, you need to have runner runner garbage to win this pot against a big field, which is highly unlikely. And, yet, the pot is so big, it's almost worth an SB just to see if you can clear out some of the riff raff just in case you are winning.

I would have checked the flop. You are not going to win the pot with a bet, and the turn card will likely bring nothing for you. However, I don't think betting is terrible at all. That's probably just what I would have done while in the midst of a multitabling session.

The way you played it, I think a turn bet is good, because you are taking a shot at a huge pot for only 1 BB. You've represented something decent, so bet it again and maybe overs and a pair of 3's or 4's may fold.

If you are betting the river, you are doing it for value, not to make an overpair fold, cause that ain't happening.

So, all in all, this seems like a good hand to me.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:19 PM

I was well ready to fold the flop...but then when it was checked to me, I heard Ed Miller whisper in my ear, when the pot is big, do everything you can to win it...that whisper grow to a shout by the river.

My sense was SB could be on a missed draw with a baby pair with a hand like A3s or A6s or could even have a hand like 88 or 99, in which case, remembering we are all not 2+2ers, they could fold figuring if I keep betting I must have a straight, a monster Pocket pair or a full house (2 4s on board now!) So I definitely wanted to fold him with the bet, last thing I want is to show down my pair of 22s...
Old 11-10-2004, 05:26 PM

but then when it was checked to me, I heard Ed Miller whisper in my ear, when the pot is big, do everything you can to win it
I agree, and that's why I like your aggressive approach here. You may be a long-shot to win, but checking the flop gives you NO shot.

My sense was SB could be on a missed draw with a baby pair with a hand like A3s or A6s or could even have a hand like 88 or 99, in which case, remembering we are all not 2+2ers, they could fold figuring if I keep betting I must have a straight, a monster Pocket pair or a full house (2 4s on board now!) So I definitely wanted to fold him with the bet, last thing I want is to show down my pair of 22s...

In this spot with a pot of this size against a pre-flop raiser, I find it unlikely that a he has a better hand that he will fold here. I think the river bet has more merit as a value bet against A-K, but I suppose when you add in the tiny chance he may fold a better hand, it makes the river bet even better. An overpair ain't folding, but a weirdo raising hand that beats you might, although it seems unlikely that he has that.

Good hand, though, I like it, and I probably would have ended up check-folding the turn if it were me.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:36 PM

The only part of this hand that's really debatable is the river value bet, imo.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I hit my set and it holds up even 60% of time, I have pot odds to call 3 bets (28/3) even if I don't take into account implied odds...I don't see folding this pair at all with so many callers...but hey maybe I am missing something? What are the chance that 3 ducks hold up against 6 hands post flop???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still working on getting rid of my "weakish" tendencies pf with less than premium starting hands [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], so you may very well be right.

I should also add that when I originally read your post I didn't take notice that there were so many callers in between.