Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 AM

Default Yes I know you guys were right.....just had to prove it

Dear All,

A few days ago I had asked why raise with AA or Ak? dumb huh?( I know thats what you are supposed to do)
My rationale for asking was that If an A or K flopped you would have probably the best hand and IF it didnt well you would not have wasted the money on a raise.....simple right?

anyway I got alot of advice on WHY you should (all good) anyway my reason for writing is that today I had AK suited raised got three callers K flops........ and A rivered and I won a $40 pot.....and I remembered what I learnt here.

The other thing which was not mentioned to me was "The implied threat"....what I mean is 99.99% of the time after the flop everyone checks to you and even not catching a pair people WILL fold out to the turn bet, and I have forced out sml pairs etc....... Now I know this is all rudimentary to all you experts out there and in my mind I know it to be true..... but actually SEEING it work is different to theory especially when its your money!!!

anyway thanks to you all

Regards David
Old 11-10-2004, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Yes I know you guys were right.....just had to prove it

I understand how you felt before, and still struggle to be aggressive enough at times. When you have AK and raise UTG and everyone cold calls, and the flop comes down all one suit and you have none of that suit and no pairs, you feel like you lost a bet that you didn't have to put in. Those thoughts are just too results oriented though.

The simple fact is that AK will win more than its fair share, so put your money in when you have an edge and look for long term results, not imediate gratification. Easy to say, but when you are running bad sometimes you start thinking about minimizing your losses. That is probably always a bad mode to be in when playing, because it tips you toward weak tight and away from TAG.

When I catch myself just calling with QQ from late position, I know I need to stop playing and review some fundamentals before I hit the tables again. I am pretty new to this also, and I think everyone struggles through these things.