Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 11:34 PM

Default Poor flop play with 99... confirm this

Hi, I have been reading on the forums for awhile and finally decide to post a bad play I just made.

I am just starting to play multiplayer tournaments, I've been a consistent loser at it so I really want to improve my game. I often play 5/10 and 10/20 shorthanded and do quite well but I find tournaments funner to play.

Anyways, this is very early in a 30/3 buying tournament. I am a little under average stack with 960. Recieves 99 in early position, 2 callers before me, I call big blind 20 (hoping to flop a set), one guy raises in late position (no read) to 80, everyone folds to me. I call the 80. flop comes 566, I bet the pot 230, he raises me all in (he has me covered by 100 chips or so). I know I should fold at this point but I call (ugh, my discpline at these tournaments are no good).

He shows AA and wins the hand.
I am sorry for not convering my hand to the proper format, I am not sure how yet.
Please point out what my mistakes are PF and after flop... To me, the final call is awful, everything else seems okay.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Poor flop play with 99... confirm this

Tough to say. A 4xBB raise preflop usually indicates high pockets, but it's early and your expected return if you do catch a set on the flop would be huge. So I can definitely see calling the preflop raise.

After I missed the flop, I would've gone to the check/fold, but I'm a fairly passive player. I'm sure a lot of people will agree with your betting out there, though. Of course you have to fold to the all in raise.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Poor flop play with 99... confirm this

Thanks, I am quite sure I should've fold to the all in reraise.. I am just not use to NL yet or I just don't give enough respect to the early all-ins in the tournament..

How bout the other plays? bet the pot when I have the overpair or how much should I bet? the limp call PF?