Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Anybody poker pros wanna move to South Beach?

Hey, just thought I'd throw this out there to see if any people are interested: I'm about to get laid off from my job as a futures trader here in Chicago and since I'll have no obligations, along with a very decent amount of cash and a BMW, I'm seriously contemplating driving to Miami and living there for a few months or longer. I'm certain I can do well playing online to cover my expenses and more, so I'm planning on subleasing a place in South Beach. I've visited Miami 3 times and frankly I think it's paradise, the women there are incredible, and I'm fluent in Spanish so it works well for me. I've been looking at a few websites with sublets, and the prices for decent 1 bedroom places are in the 1k area, probably a little more than I want to spend. However, instead of living on my own, I would be willing to share an apartment with another online poker pro, someone that understands my situation, I don't want to have to explain it to some random roommate, and it would be cool to grind it out with someone everyday, makes it much more fun. There are some SWEET 2 bedroom sublets right along the beach for very decent prices, like 600-700 per person, so it would be ideal if someone wanted to go in on this with me. I've read a few posts about people moving to Costa Rica and elsewhere abroad, but I can't seem to find them now, but anyway...if anyone is interested or has suggestions about anything, let's talk.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Anybody poker pros wanna move to South Beach?

granny lived on Sobe for a while.

if you look for a place on washington or collins instead of ocean, you will get much more for your $$.

send me an 18 year old disease-free cuban please. if you can't find one, a nice jewish boy will do.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:09 PM

Maybe somewhere less pricey until you are an established internet pro? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2004, 04:17 PM

You should know that the state law here limits bets to $2 so all the games are $1/$2. Unfortunately I moved here before I knew that. Kinda sucks.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Jake, why'd you move to Miami? I'm curious to hear if anyone has a story on how they moved somewhere completely new just for the hell of it, because that's basically what I'm doing. I somehow doubt that all the freedom I have right now by making money playing online will last forever, so I wanna milk it for all it's worth. I studied in Spain for about a year while I was in college, so I have a bit of experience trying new things like this. It would make the transition a lot easier though if I had somebody along with me that was doing the same thing. I know whenever I have losing streaks in poker, listening to all the bad beat stories on 2+2 is therapeutic because I know there's tons of people out there going through the same things.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 PM

No big story. Found a better-paying job. I've been here 3 months and am really liking it so far though. Like you said, great weather and phenomenal-looking women. Heck I even sit out by my pool sometimes with my wi-fi laptop and play. Niiiiice. Of course it was down into the 60's last night. Brrrrrrr....Freezing. LOL.
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, why'd you move to Miami? I'm curious to hear if anyone has a story on how they moved somewhere completely new just for the hell of it, because that's basically what I'm doing. I somehow doubt that all the freedom I have right now by making money playing online will last forever, so I wanna milk it for all it's worth. I studied in Spain for about a year while I was in college, so I have a bit of experience trying new things like this. It would make the transition a lot easier though if I had somebody along with me that was doing the same thing. I know whenever I have losing streaks in poker, listening to all the bad beat stories on 2+2 is therapeutic because I know there's tons of people out there going through the same things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2004, 05:24 PM

I'm in Chicago as well, and would HIGHLY recommend considering Buenos Aires. Cost of living is dirt, incredible food, incredible women (much better than Miami, IMO) and no income tax, so you can defer a portion of your US owed taxes.

Drop me a PM, this is a topic that interests me as I'm in a similar situation.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 AM

What about Vegas?

Vegas has better weather, plenty of trashy hot puntang, lower cost of living, and no state income tax. Not to mention the awesome food, tourments, live cash games, etc.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 AM

If it weren't for my job, wife and two kids I'd be with you in a minute!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:35 AM

Next September I will be moving to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for one year. Not just for the "online poker vagabond" experience, because I will have a PT job and do know people down there. Having been there for a few weeks before I can't think of any more beautiful women than those of Brazil.

I think traveling with poker earnings is a great idea. If there's one thing wrong with most Americans it is that we don't get out to see much of the world (or our country for that matter).