Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 PM

Default interesting small tourney scenario, need some advice

start with only about $50 in chips. blinds start at 2/4. start w/ 4 tables of 6-7 players. i am new to this game, but have been pumping an inside source for info on what people play. it is obviously a game you need to be quite tight in, with probably some good stealing ops. the questions are:

do i have room to play a little looser in the beginning given the blind size in relation to stack size, or do i HAVE to loosen up for that reason?

does the shorthandedness of the tables allow for loosening up, or does stack size negate this?

any other comments on appropriate strategy would be helpful. i am also an internet player (make money) and this will be my first home game with any chance to make significant money.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: interesting small tourney scenario, need some advice

You only start with 12.5xBB? Sounds like the whole tournament is just a preflop all-in fest. Certainly not enough chips to actually make any kind of plays after the flop. Luck in getting good starting hands will be worth more than skill in this tournament.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM

that's what i was thinking. tonight may be a feeling out night to see how it goes. if i get knocked out i think that i can do well in the side games, so i'm not too worried. my buddy who is getting me in the game is mediocre at best and he usually does well. i'm thinking super tight at first, maybe try and steal some blinds, but otherwise sit on my stack until i can get some cards.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM

With only 6-7 at a table you can loosen up a little compared to a 10 person table.

Take time to learn the players at the table. Loosen up a bit against loose players and tighten up when tight players are in. Just don't get stupid with mediocre cards.

If you're from MD: the Junkies radio show has been interviewing all the poker pros. I think Raymer said "Good players fold 85% of the time, novices call 85% of the time." - just something to think about.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:40 PM

from mass, live in philly, but college park grad. love the junkies but they don't air in philly (tragedy). i am definitely folding for awhile (except for big pairs, maybe AK) to get reads. they way i hear it, lots of guys going big on KJ, QJ, AJ, stuff like that. so i figure i can wait them out in the beginning. definitely not getting cute w/ shite. even a blind steal i think can only be safely done w/ maybe group 3 and up.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:53 PM

And I thought Party's SitnGo's were a crapshoot. Those blinds are just ridiculous. I just dont see how skill could help other than reads and super aggressivness.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:05 PM

i know. great name by the way. i'm hoping reads will be enough, i think that these guys won't be able to disguise their plays to well. some of them strike me as show you i bluffed you guys, but not to advertise, merely for ego. i am going to lay back as long as i can, get super aggresive w/ big pocket pairs, AKs, maybe KQs if i think that the game will allow it. i think that less than a pair is useless here unless it's a big suited connector (AK, KQ, QJ in some cases).