Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Playing Monster Hands Correctly

I'm not sure if I'm playing the monster hands correctly to earn maximum $$. I've been burnt in the past with trying to play tricky so when I get a great hand I try to play it straight-forward. However, I think I might be losing money. Any thoughts on how to play these better would be appreciated.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

MrHorace
Old 11-08-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Playing Monster Hands Correctly

I do the same thing - even if I miss the queen. The fact is, betting is going to make you the most money. If you get raised, you should consider calling, then check-raising the turn, but other than that, making money with monsters typically requires someone else getting a very solid second best hand.

Ajax
Old 11-08-2004, 10:24 PM

Nothing you can do about it. You were correct to bet-- unfortunately you can't make them stay around a while longer. You had to bet here because your hand is on the border of "very strong" and "monster" categories, and you are still vulnerable to hands like any two diamonds, and any two unpaired broadway cards (gutshots).

Besides, you have the best hand so you want money in the pot, betting is the best way to do this. You raised preflop, so people are expecting a bet from you. If you check here, your preflop aggression might induce the other players to check the flop. This would be bad, almost catastrophic. Bet and hope someone plays back.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:36 PM

Thanks, Ed.
[ QUOTE ]
You raised preflop, so people are expecting a bet from you. If you check here, your preflop aggression might induce the other players to check the flop. This would be bad, almost catastrophic. Bet and hope someone plays back.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the way I've been playing. May be to a fault, which I'm trying to be more cognizant of, but I agree w/you. My preflop aggro 'forces' me to bet out on the flop, even if it sometimes doesn't help me. As stated, am trying to be more conscious of this, and am becoming 'okay' with checking if the flop doesn't help me.

David
Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 PM

Looks good. It's a great flop for you. You'll get action from any flush draw and most aces, if they're out there. Unfortunately, they apparently weren't out there.

But how else could you play this? If people have the ace or a draw, they'll call or raise. If they don't, waiting until the turn is not going to get you much action when they catch their pair of jacks on this board.